• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

More questions about VX-8GR

KB8ZVJ

Dec 15, 2009
Ok, I want this toy.

Three questions first:

Is it full duplex? IE, will it work for satellite use?

Is it possible to hook it to a laptop and do APRS messaging so I dont have to do the awkward texting thing through the dials and menus? If so, what extra equipment do I need?

What is the recommended amplifier to use when I am mobile and need a little "umph" in the rural areas?

Thanks for your help.

-Ian
KB8ZVJ

Ok, I want this toy.

Three questions first:

Is it full duplex? IE, will it work for satellite use?

Is it possible to hook it to a laptop and do APRS messaging so I dont have to do the awkward texting thing through the dials and menus? If so, what extra equipment do I need?

What is the recommended amplifier to use when I am mobile and need a little "umph" in the rural areas?

Thanks for your help.

-Ian
KB8ZVJ

It's not full duplex, but it will work great for satellite. I use the VX-8r all the time.

You could hook it to a laptop, but I think you'll still need an additional TNC. I'm not sure that you can make use of the internal TNC to use with the various APRS applications.

Recommended amplifier is a "depends" answer. Do you want both 2m & 440? Do you want 220, or only 2m? Any of the several little amps on the market that satisfy your frequency and power level requirements will work fine.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.