• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mosfets in a Galaxy DX 88

If your Galaxy 88 is not broke I would leave it alone and get a small amplifier. There is more to doing a mod like that then just buying a "kit", solder in some parts, and tada you have a 60 watt radio. If it were that simple places like Bells, DTB, Bob's, and Custom cb would not be backed up with work like they are.

I think if the average guy tried this on his own from cb tricks you would be lucky to see 40 watts. Someone like DTB could do it no problem and it would be done right and perform well I am sure. But for the 40-60 bucks it would cost I don't see where you are money ahead doing that to a working radio.

Also to me going from a 30-35 watt radio to 50-60 is not a "holy crap" improvement. Putting a Texas Star 250/350 behind that Galaxy 88 will give you "holy crap" results.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Like he said.

But, going from 30 to 60 watts when you are driving a high drive amp could mean 200 watts. I guess it depends on what you are trying to do.

Reactions: LeapFrog
If your Galaxy 88 is not broke I would leave it alone and get a small amplifier. There is more to doing a mod like that then just buying a "kit", solder in some parts, and tada you have a 60 watt radio. If it were that simple places like Bells, DTB, Bob's, and Custom cb would not be backed up with work like they are.

I think if the average guy tried this on his own from cb tricks you would be lucky to see 40 watts. Someone like DTB could do it no problem and it would be done right and perform well I am sure. But for the 40-60 bucks it would cost I don't see where you are money ahead doing that to a working radio.

Also to me going from a 30-35 watt radio to 50-60 is not a "holy crap" improvement. Putting a Texas Star 250/350 behind that Galaxy 88 will give you "holy crap" results.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah.......... So whats so bad about tinkering on ones radio? I like to experiment... Sure i've blowed up a few radios in my time but its how i learn. Its how i roll man!

I did this to one of my old Galaxy DX 77HML (same final section) it was neato. Then I did this to a Galaxy DX 959, it was awesome pumping out 55 watts. Sounded CLEAN too

I don't get why some down people who enjoy modding radios. A stock out of the box radio is boring. lololol

I don't get why some down people who enjoy modding radios. A stock out of the box radio is boring. lololol

Honestly I got into modding radios because I have been stuck at home with a ruptured disc (L5-S1) that is rubbing on the nerve roots. It had nothing to do with needing more power, it was just because I wanted to see if I could do it.

There ya go man! I mod all my radios and they all work great. We mod guys need to stick together, LOL. NPC/RC mods, 12 volt to finals, mosfet finals, yup that's how i roll. Don't like it then please leave me alone..;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.