• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Most Interesting CB Shop

secret squirrel

Lustrous Potentate
Oct 5, 2008
Washington, PA
I know many gentleman on this forum at professional drivers, actually, I pose this question all.
What is the most interesting CB Shop you ever had the privilege to patronize in your travels?

Example: CB shop in Bird in Hand, PA where the counter girl looks and dresses like Daisy Duke.

All kidding aside I came up with the idea just as entertainment, not trying to insult anyone.

Last edited:

The problem with most retail shops is the confusing amount of product.

Think of a nice department store or specialty retailer where floor space is adequate to display product prominently. That’s not a CB shop.

Even Radio Shack had this problem in some ways.

One may enter said shop with a specific in mind. But to be sure his time isn’t wasted, it might be quite awhile with inspection of the full line of offerings.

This is not to blame CB retailers in any fashion. It’s that I’ve learned to walk the space once, clockwise. And begin again in a different pattern, but with stops on the way.

At end — shopping basket with items stowed — I should have made an anti-clockwise circuit on a more leisurely round.

As a truck driver I know I may not get back there again.

An example of this is Bobs CB (Strattanville, PA) off of IH-80 in western PA. If I know I’ll have time to stop and that they’ll be open I can take time with the online catalog beforehand. Stock # + Description.

If I wake up in Santa’s Workshop (Larry’s CB; McKinney, TX) it’s only three short steps in any direction to cover the thing. But must be (300) items on display. And more that isn’t.

Walcott Radio is maybe the best example of adequate floor space + a good online catalog.

Why does display space matter? Might see or handle something that gets the juices flowing. One doesn’t always get this in talking with owner or employee. Following up on an idea with them is where the fun gets going on a different level.

One needs his wits in gear and getting traction.

I’d imagine some of y’all aren’t going thru these mental gears the way I have to. A great deal more familiarity as long-time hobbyists. Or that the hobby overlaps business knowledge. Family tradition. Etc.

So the above could be written up to the paucity of retailers nationwide, and the disappearance of Radio Shack, not just my new-guy desires.

As a side note, the use of print catalogs (DXE & HRO) will lead to some pretty good chicken-chasing for a deep bubba-fried truck driver.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.