• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Motor Maul how many are users?

I don't really know for sure how they work....I think they are just a box full of big capacitors...right?

I don't really know for sure how they work....I think they are just a box full of big capacitors...right?

No, they allow you to run banks of battery's, charge them all at 12 volts, and when you key up, they put the battery's in pairs (in series ) so that you have 24 volts available and then use a regulator to dial up what voltage you want to run your "final" amp on.
This will let you run your final amp at 16/17/18/19/20 volts.
You do not want to run your radio or driver amps on this, and they are best suited to class C amps that are used on AM for the "key down guys".
CB Radio Mag online has a good write up on mauls.

SO-- you are interested in how a motor maul works?

Basically, a motor maul is a mobile power supply-- that allows the radio operator to run a larger amplifier, that would otherwise not be possible-- without adding custom-mounted alternators, regulators, and large battery banks.

First, you must use a class C amplifier-- that has a copper circuit board, with 'better than average' internal components. Amplifiers with printed circuit boards and solder traces, will not work well when volted. The purpose of “volting” is to push the amplifier to beyond its safe and capable levels for a short period of time. This will give the operator a power advantage when keying against another operator, with the same size amplifier.

The transistor data sheets for the 2sc2879 transistor do not measure output for anywhere near these voltage levels-- so the data sheets (or voltage/current ratings) do not apply.

The rest of the write -up can be seen here:
Motor Mauls - whatever you wanted to know, but were afraid to ask

Jeff

Reactions: 2 people
Never heard of one but then again i am not into high power AM when i can talk almost around the world on SSB...

motor maul do make it possible to run larger amps then your vehicle can provide power.
do they work yes. do they have draw backs, some. I have used motor mauls for a while in both the keydown truck ( and won with it ) and the work truck. I would use one again if I needed to.

operation was properly described above.

Thinkn of buying a used motor maul for my car so I can run a bigger am. Just wondering how many if any forum members are using them and what your results are ?

Thanx
Tom

Motor mauls are not for everyone. They take up a bunch of space and require 2-4 batteries sitting in your trunk as well as the maul itself which is about 18" x 14" or bigger
Does wonders for trunk space. If you decide to do it, fuse every positve feed wire in case you get into a crash or your car/truck will burn baby burn.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.