• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Motormaul

Very simply, a motor maul is nothing more than a voltage regulator.

Look online for a linear voltage regulator... Then scale it to your needs. You can use MOSFETS for a LOT of current, or to just "get the feel" of building it, do a few 3055 pass transistors in parallel and try that for feeding a small box.

If you want to get fancy after learning the basics, you can scale it to a switching type regulator....... That will also allow you to use the motor maul for other things (since you can AC output it as well.... I'll let you use your imagination here.. Think tube box in DC classes :) If all your alternators are DC, your in a DC class. Think 120 volt inverter... blah blah blah)

Anywho.

--Toll_Free

They use a positive variable voltage regulator. Something like a LM317 series Maybe something in same class but higher Amp rating(Hint) in a TO220 case. Then use a power switching transistor that has a 50 amp rating. You put one of these transisters right after regulator in a Darlington configuration to take strain off regulater and then say use 8 of these 50 transister in a series shunt configuration ( I think, I'll have to check the one I am repairing). If say you use 8 rated at 50 amp, NPN, that gives you 400 amp max. 50% duty cycle is 200 amp. It is actually better to put an extra 4 more in there just to give it a little more breath room. Also I like 4 fans instead of the usual 2. Push that air across that heatsink. I bought a bunch of power supply books and read up on regulator circuits. Then started looking up regulaters on the internet and studied datasheets. Usually the datasheets will give you a drawing of how to set it up. May even show you how to setup a pass transister in circuit as well. Also on the 200 amp model, they use 4 solenoids. One opens/closes loop to connect 12-24 volt connection. 1 solenoid connects charger/alt from up front to battery and disconnects when keyed. There is a keying circuit that does this. The other 2 I will look at and then describe.

Send it back to Carl at Xforce it should be under warranty for life.....Just call him before anyone works on it...

Peace Yota

This unit is like one of the very first ones that Carl built years ago. She went out a couple of weeks ago during field strength testing on some antennas. I can replace transistors and all, but have heard about some hints on mosfet replacements like with the radios. Just wondering.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.