• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Motorola GM300 wide/narrow and 'step' ??

MrClean

Mar 11, 2016
PA
I setup a GM300 for my truck that is wideband according to the model number.M33GMC29C2AA.

It accepted all local repeater frequencies in RSS and seems to be working as I can trip them and they sound clear coming in with tones and such.

Some of them are like 146.835- and 147.285+. My question is does wide band mean these frequencies won't work?

Just got Tech last week and wide/narrow has me confused with spacing vs steps I think..

I just downloaded the RSS programming manual from the internet.

On page 4-8 (pg. 72) it says the RX frequency must be divisible by 5khz of 6.25 khz... under the TX page 4-13 (pg.77) it says see your price sheets or manual for valid TX frequencies..

So I am correct to guess that a freq of 146.835 is good to go??

I can hit 2 repeaters ending with .835 and .625 just fine and can hear them just fine, the issue is no one is on them to give me a QRK or QRI to confirm...

http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/search/index.asp?state=Pennsylvania&band=2

Set it for wide (receiver bandwidth)

Spacing: Most repeaters use +/- 600 kHz for difference between the Receiver frequency and the Transmit freq....IE: 146.76- / Receiver is 146.76 / TX is 146.16...IE: 147.15+...RX is 147.15 / TX is 147.715
there are some "odd" splits but those are normally noted in the Guides.

Don't forget to add the access tone code to your TX frequency(if required/see guide)...otherwise you may not be able to open the repeater.

Step: the change in frequency when in VFO mode (before saving to memory) set this to lowest value radio will do .005 kHz...this has no effect once a frequency is stored in memory...only used when manual tuning...

One final note; Forget the "Q" codes on all voice bands...these are "shorthand" for CW operation and only appropriate on voice bands in Emergency communications...and then only by the advice from "Net Control"
JMHO...
Hope this helps
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

PS: CONGRATS on getting you call 73

I have a GM300 that has an advertised range starting at 146 MHz. Is it possible to tune it down to 144 MHz?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.