• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mount a cb antenna horiz

ih2425

May 1, 2009
hey i was just wondering if anyone tried to mount a cb antenna horizontial if it would work just like a dipole

It depends on exactly which CB antenna you mean. If you put one on it's side, it would be horizontally polarized, but wouldn't have the same characteristics as a dipole. I've heard of people putting something like an 'A99' on it's side in an attic, and working. No idea how to say how well it worked though.
- 'Doc

For that to work like a dipole, you'd need two essentially identical antennas mounted back to back, horizontally. One would attach to the coax center conductor and the other would be isolated from the center and connected to the shield.

I've heard that brackets are available for just this purpose, using 108" SS whips as the elements. You could probably use some other kind of antenna, but you still need two of them, and their electrical and physical characteristics need to be virtually identical (i.e. don't mix a 108" or 102" whip and a "L'il Will").

I once had the Ringo antenna installed horizontally on the side of my apartment's wall about 6 metres from the ground. I had quite a few local weak spots, but as to DXing, it was wonderful. I was QSOing with stations that nobody else could hear and also swapped some nice QSL cards. The position of my antenna was beaming straight from my QTH, Trieste, Italy, to Israel, Lebanon, Kuwait, and all the way down to SW Australia. On the other side, I had an opening towards Scotland.

hey i was just wondering if anyone tried to mount a cb antenna horizontial if it would work just like a dipole

it sort of defeats the purpose of buying a vertical,the main reason to buy a vertical is omni directional radiation,if you lay it horizontal you lose that,so its pretty pointless,if you want directional/bi directional radiation theres far superior and/or cheaper ways of getting it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.