• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mounting a classic k40 differently

triple5usb

Sep 17, 2013
home same as you!
i recently picked up an old k40. i like them but i never felt that the trunk lip mounting isnt very strong like a regular stud mount is. and that heavy whip waving around is a lot of stress on those little grub screws all at one end of the base.

i know you can get a mag for it but i would prefer a hole through type mount
you could tighten with a wrench and not worry about it
i seem to recall on a new one i bought way back there was instructions how you can mount them through a body panel but i cant seem to find any info on this. did i imagine it?

also many years ago i modified an old k40 base turning it into a regular 3/8 to k40 adaptor but later i seem to recall discovering you could buy a type of adaptor for mounting the coil and whip to a more common mount but again i cant seem to find any info on that either. i think knights in uk did them???

i would like to buy one before i mess around making something.

i recently picked up an old k40. i like them but i never felt that the trunk lip mounting isnt very strong like a regular stud mount is. and that heavy whip waving around is a lot of stress on those little grub screws all at one end of the base.

i seem to recall on a new one i bought way back there was instructions how you can mount them through a body panel but i cant seem to find any info on this. did i imagine it?

also many years ago i modified an old k40 base turning it into a regular 3/8 to k40 adaptor but later i seem to recall discovering you could buy a type of adaptor for mounting the coil and whip to a more common mount but again i cant seem to find any info on that either. i think knights in uk did them???

you just have to dissassemble it a little bit look up the k40 manual online and you will see how easy it is .

by the way breedlove mounts is awesome check em out

i agree ref the weak mounting with there through hole idea
and the trunk lip idea works but its not much better with that heavy whip waving back n forth in stop go traffic.

i fitted one once on a car that never had a double folded edge to the panel it was a simple 90 degree drop off so i had to cut and fold it and then it was too thick for the mount to go over. and i just ruined my trunk! may as well drilled a hole as it leaked water into the trunk from then on.

they work well enough and the mag is fine but i dont want a mag or lip or theyre idea of a hole mount i want to convert it to work on a 3/8 common stud mount.
at least then you can switch ants anytime

yes a simple foam donut allthough its prob real easy to just make it. should come with it IMO. especially when you think about similar waste materials in some packaging

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.