• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mounting Base station CB antenna

AmericanEagle575

Supporting Sr. Member WDX-1863
Feb 17, 2016
Bellefonte,Pennsylvania
Thinking about in the summer when the weather is nice,of moving my antron 99 from the vent pipe where I currently have it mounted,to getting a 3 foot heavy duty roof tripod and moving towards a higher part of the roof. The question is: how high of a mast can I safely use without having to use Guy wires, 5 feet,10 foot mast??? Also thinking about getting a Siro 2008 base antenna and changing things up a bit, Would appreciate any feedback or ideas, Concern's,etc!!
Thank you in advance,

Steve AE#575

lots of factors to consider to come up with an adequate answer. whats the thickness and weight of the mast sections being used? what type of mounting system is being used? whats the total weight that the mast will support? do you get severe weather conditions regularly at your location? and so on. as a generic answer i would say guy every 10ft with four wires. dont forget to break them up with insulators to avoid resonance.

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
lots of factors to consider to come up with an adequate answer. whats the thickness and weight of the mast sections being used? what type of mounting system is being used? whats the total weight that the mast will support? do you get severe weather conditions regularly at your location? and so on. as a generic answer i would say guy every 10ft with four wires. dont forget to break them up with insulators to avoid resonance.
I can tell you that it's a heavy duty roof 3 foot tripod that attaches to the roof for masts up to 1-3/4 ,I usually get my Mast material at home Depot or Lowe's ( usually it's a top rail fenceing-hope that makes sense) I don't plan on going any higher than 8to 10 feet in length or height from the tripod,I really don't want to fool around with guy wires if I don't have to, If necessary I'll stick to using a 5 foot mast length just to avoid that! Live in Pennsylvania,don't get many severe storms around where I live at if that helps!!

in that case, if the tripod is bolted down properly to the support beams of the roof, i see no need to guy it at 10 ft. BUT! top fence rail can be narrow in diameter and tend to flex under high strain, and it is quite heavy. Peronally i would just go for it, get it up there and then hang on it, lol :) see what happens, and use your best judgment. my guess is it should be good. a fiberglass vertical isn't that heavy and has a small wind load for the most part. Just make sure that tripod is bolted down to solid wood. not screwed in or nailed to the shingles. i have seen it.

in that case, if the tripod is bolted down properly to the support beams of the roof, i see no need to guy it at 10 ft. BUT! top fence rail can be narrow in diameter and tend to flex under high strain, and it is quite heavy. Peronally i would just go for it, get it up there and then hang on it, lol :) see what happens, and use your best judgment. my guess is it should be good. a fiberglass vertical isn't that heavy and has a small wind load for the most part. Just make sure that tripod is bolted down to solid wood. not screwed in or nailed to the shingles. i have seen it.
Thank you Groundwire,much appreciated!!

Right-on! But how do you find the beams under the roof shingles?

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
Well I have decided to forgo the Roof tripod and instead go with a Roof Eaves Mount with a 5.5 ft Mast attached to put the antenna on,Found and ordered a. Heavy duty one on eBay!!! Thank you all for your advice and help,I just felt that this would be alittle easier to install for me!!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Well I have decided to forgo the Roof tripod and instead go with a Roof Eaves Mount with a 5.5 ft Mast attached to put the antenna on,Found and ordered a. Heavy duty one on eBay!!! Thank you all for your advice and help,I just felt that this would be alittle easier to install for me!!
Be sure the Roof Eaves Mount brackets are long enough to protrude beyond the eaves. Also, it is recommended the minimum spacing between the two brackets are 5' and no less. You will need a one-piece 10ft mast / pipe.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.