• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Moxon questions

edfiero

Jul 15, 2010
I've built myself a 2 element rectangle moxon out of alumining tubing. SWR is a pretty decent 1.3:1, however it almost always under performs my 5/8 wave Maco.

The Maco is about 15 feet higher up, but for DX I wouldn't expect that to matter so much. On the receiving end the Moxon is consistantly about 2 s-units less than the groundplane for DX Transmit is 2 to 4 S units down.

I realize the moxon is horiztonal while the Maco is vertical and would understand that sometimes the vertical will be stronger, but rather than a 50/50 split on which on is better I see about 95 times out of a hundred the Maco is better.

Since the SWR is already pretty good, are their any design changes I can make to improve the performance?

Does the height of the antenna really make that much difference for DX? Should I try to get it higher?

Anyone ever mount the Moxon vertical? How would that perform compared to my Maco?

Thanks

Hello,

How high is your moxon?

Horizontal antennas need heigth for DX
Thats about the only disadvantage of horizontal antennas.

read about height :
http://www.dx-antennas.com/Height versus take off angle.htm

With heigth there is also a thing called "groundgain" which is a additional 6 dB.

Your Moxon should outperform the vertical maco on DX (when it is up high).

Ps your swr should be abit lower...a moxon can easily be 50 Ohms J0.

Some have posted Moxon's vertical but i personal do not like that.
Simply cause there is either a metal mast or a coax cable running through the "pattern"
which will cause issues.
Besides its not only the gain (roughly 6dBI) which makes it a winner compared to your vertical..
Its the packedge: groundgain, directivity, antenna gain, horizontal polarisation.

Kind regards,

Henry HPSD 19SD348
All about antennas

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.