• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Multi Side by Side Reflector antennas!!!

15minigrass

Oct 30, 2006
What I mean is if I can put 2 or more reflector on the SIDE of the existing one instead of going multiple towards the rear? Will I get more gain or would I get an array or reflected patter?

Left Reflector Middle Reflector Right reflector

Hot Antenna

You won't see any noticable difference in receive or transmitt.
Only antennas that do this config and get worthwhile improvements are in the UHF range where size is small.
One behind the other has no effect at all.
The theory behind antenna operation is what your missing.
The spacing and number of elements and length are critical. At CB frquencies the antenna would get very large.
A 3 or 4 element standard plainar beam would do as well.
Good luck.

I do not think you will gain anything James, if you are looking for more gain, add a director out the front....what do you have the spacing at right now from the hot to the back?
Grounded in the back, correct?
I have played with this a little and it seems that if you ground the back, and set the hot antenna @ 72" in front of that it was showing a fair amount of gain out the front.....at least that is what I remember on my truck, but it was years ago.
I was using sticks, on a 76 dodge truck ( long bed) with a metal camper shell......are you using 10K`s?
The guys running 3 or 4 antennas seem to like to put the back about 86" from the Hot.
and leave your self about a foot behind that back antenna, it seemed to tune better that way.
You really need a field strength meter.

Did you ever get any pictures of the grounding you did in the camper shell?

Jeff

I do not think you will gain anything James, if you are looking for more gain, add a director out the front....what do you have the spacing at right now from the hot to the back?
Grounded in the back, correct?
I have played with this a little and it seems that if you ground the back, and set the hot antenna @ 72" in front of that it was showing a fair amount of gain out the front.....at least that is what I remember on my truck, but it was years ago.
I was using sticks, on a 76 dodge truck ( long bed) with a metal camper shell......are you using 10K`s?
The guys running 3 or 4 antennas seem to like to put the back about 86" from the Hot.
and leave your self about a foot behind that back antenna, it seemed to tune better that way.
You really need a field strength meter.

Did you ever get any pictures of the grounding you did in the camper shell?

Jeff

Sorry jeff, Forgot about this thread here. Yes I did get some pix. I followed what Mr. Suburban said to do Line the camper shell with chicken wire. I cant get my photobucket to open. Iʻll get some pix. I have since moved the reflector antenna back to 83 inches instead of 72", seems to be working good, just nee to figure out my spacing for the Director. I believe the Director ant is Isolated????

start at 50 in for the director. and yes completely isolated.
you will have to adjust the current hot and reflector.
one director will show minimal gain. go to 4 to get the best performance.

oh and one reflector only. going 3 has been done and is a waste of time with backwards results.

waste of time, effort, and materials. Google "trigonal reflector". Some commercial ham band VHF/UHF were made that way years ago and there is a reason you no longer see them made that way. Simply using three elements does nothing in most cases and in some cases makes thing worse. The idea of using multiple reflector elements works if you can use LOTS of them to basically make a plane reflector as used in a corner reflector beam or as a flat parabolic section however 11m is far from the frequency band to be doing that on. Even at 2m they are quite large. I had a Scala Paraflector 960 MHz antenna that used a dipole driven element and a reflector grid consisting of dozens of elements each about 3 feet long. Really nice gain (18dB) but huge reflector size as compared to the driven element even on UHF.

http://www.kathrein-scala.com/catalog/PR-950.pdf

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.