1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Multiple antenna placement on SUV

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by buickid, Oct 2, 2020.

1. buickid

buickid Active Member

Hey there, finally gonna get around to drilling holes in my truck for a Breedlove puck mount. Vehicle is a 1999 Toyota 4Runner, with sunroof. I'm also an amateur, so I plan on adding an NMO mount for my 2/70 dualband, and another for a future UHF DMR or P25 radio. Based on the difficulties in tuning with a centered antenna that we've encountered with a friend's van in the other thread, and someone mentioning that large roof vehicles work better with the antenna near the rear edge of the roof, I was thinking of placing the puck maybe 12-18" from the rear hatch, with the two NMO mounts in line toward the front of the vehicle. I have to see how far back the sunroof retracts, although the coax might be able to lay flat enough that it won't make contact.

Anyone see anything critically wrong with this layout?

Slowmover likes this.

2. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

I’d have the CB Antenna at best position, with others at lesser.

Today, might not matter so much, but, tomorrow, CB might be the near-only way to raise another person.

Highest ratio of users.

144inBama and undertaker like this.
  3. ForestRunner98

ForestRunner98 917 SoCal

Seeing I have the same model truck...SUBSCRIBED!!!

I want to see how this turns out. I am also thinking of a drilling a hole in the roof for a Sirio Performer 5k.

buickid and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  4. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

Do it, use the Sirio SO239 body mount. They come with a handy screw on cap to put on them when you take off the antenna. Off the top of my head it's a 5/8" hole.

[​IMG]

5. Marconi

Marconi Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.

Hey Slow, if things get bad enough...CB won't even be a twinkle of a thought in the mind to communicate with others...at best we may go back to using Smoke Signals...if we can figure it all out and survive at all.

buickid, Slowmover and 357magnum like this.
  6. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

No gasoline, it still might be easier to roll the car around the yard with the solar panel on it than to climb on the roof and turn those.

Roll it back into the garage at night.
    Use the engine & trans to block the driveway.

7. ForestRunner98

ForestRunner98 917 SoCal

Will that mount be enough to keep that Sirio from flexing the roof?

8. buickid

buickid Active Member

I wouldn't think so, unless you put a large plate underneath. I'm going with the Breedlove puck with the 6x6 plate underneath. Have the headliner down, just need to finish up reassembling a 97 Land Cruiser for a friend before I work on my own junk... haha

Slowmover likes this.
  9. ForestRunner98

ForestRunner98 917 SoCal

Ok ya that’s what I thought. I was going to go with the 4.5” puck with terminal ends. That should give the support needed. Although your idea really makes it extra rigid. Definitely no flex with that!

Slowmover likes this.
  10. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore Sr. Member

I have a 6x6 plate under my puck, and it still flexes. I had a cheap washer mount for a few years before that with a rigid center loaded antenna and it was never a problem. I switched to the puck because I moved to a very large antenna, otherwise I'd probably still be running the other mount.

ForestRunner98 and Slowmover like this.