• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Murs base antenna?

Ihave used old motorola radios maxon ,kenwood, general electic and yeasu commerical radios with good results. most of these radios need to be programed using computer software and programming cable, The yeasu ft 2500ametuer radio has a fairly broad band recieve and its practically bulletproof, one quick mod{cut green wire} and your on , these radios are out of production so you'll have to find one second hand, The Icom v8000 is still avialable and its a 70 watt radio the 2500 is 50 watt, if you want to run an amp stick to the commercial ones they are alot better than the ones designed for ametuer radio. Steve44

Hi..

It is unlikly CBers as a whole will migrate to MURS..
Range is greatly limited (compared to 11 meters)even with amps..
but it is so much quieter and still respectible local and close range....
MURS acts mostly like 2 meters....
so with a good antenna even staying at the "lawfull" (lol) 2 watts...one can expect up to about 25 to 30 miles (beams with rather high DBd gain are rather small compared to their 11 meter sized cousins)..

one may need be carefull...for seems like me there is some security crew or such using these under used frequency's

I ask because I see posts with a little more than 2W output. Many 2M/dual band radios won't go below 5W. It would be nice to use for talking to home or car to car. The wife will never get her ticket, has not a bit of interest.

I hear what I guess to be businesses using 160+Mhz, marine band stuff. I'd have to think MURS with 5W(or 50W) wouldn't draw much attention.

Nope there is still businessses using those freaquencys and the FCC gives them the right to becouse they were around before MURS. I know of a local school district that still uses two of the chanels as "mobile chanels"

i know this is an old post but is there anyone still using it, on the forum. we have several companies in this area especially construction crews. i use it to talk to a couple of buds across town since it's left on all the time and we have the same tone squelch programmed in so the squelch doesn't break unless it's one of them.
Oh BTW i use a broadband marine antenna that i salvaged (garbaged picked) from one of those snooty niegborhoods that was tossing 3 ants. 2 hf and 1 vhf, for their boat. they all were in great shape and have been usefull for 2 1/2 years now.

Are you looking for the HUGE Station Master antenna? If so, why? Too big and too heavy for the home and I can't see why you need to install a MURS station on a mountain top.

If you want a QUALITY high gain antenna for MURS, get the Hustler G7-150-1! Tune it for 153.210MHz.

A second option is the Comet C-150BX-H. I own one of these and they can be had for less than $100.00.

These are good commercial options to investigate. MURS is a lot of fun and you would be surprised what you hear on there. Remember, the FCC opened these frequencies to the public so don't let some security company bully you!

MURS Info

If you want a Station Master, call Tally Communications.

I have been looking for a station master for a while cant say there easy to find around here. Oh well Ill keeep looking for a better antenna. Right now Im running a diamond X300A thats been slightly modified to cover MURS. It works good but I know I could do better. I have a guy about a nile up the road from running a quarter wave ground plane and he can here things I cant and hes running it lower and using cheap RG58 he is slightly higher in elevation though.

You could build a quarter-wave ground plane with five pieces of solid copper wire and an SO-239 to connect them to. Hoist it up as high as you can.

Check figures 25 and 26. You'll have to make the calculations for length.

Here y'go.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?