• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

murs base

countryboy879

Mar 17, 2008
i know we are only allowed 2 watts for portables but i want to set up a base and mobile where i live can't i get a mobile that i can program myself to use it on murs??? i have two portales now just want something for a base and mobile

If your having issues with programing an opened up two meter radio would work well. I run a yaesu FT2800M on MURS in the mobile and a Motorola mobile on the base. Power will not go as low as two watts but I dont worry to much.

i know but since there is no base /mobile type murs radio can i use like maxon radio or motorola radio that can be programmed to murs freq?

The FT-2800M is a great choice. I can be had for as little as $120.
With the mars mod, it'll do murs without any programming software.

Most two meter antennas should cover 151MHz without trouble, but for 154 i think you would need to trim the whip a tad.

If for some reason you also wanted FRS (on UHF), there is the FT-7800R.

Go for it you will be happy with them! There is an antenna company called centerfire that makes antennas for MURS. We have a bunch of guys using the quarter wave ground plane they sell and they work very good.

I use to use a 2 meter radio on murs and a ham guy a few blocks from me wrote a letter to the fcc saying i was bleeding into 2 meters but i dont see how and I dont really think i did bleed into 2 meters even with 50 watts.I think he did it just cause he didnt like me.I use an old radio shack bussiness radio that has 2 channels and only 500 mw but i can talk to my buddy the next town over on it.

I heard that the yaesu FT7800 with the mod can cover murs and the uhf part can cover gmrs frequencies, anyone ever use one of these radios???

DOCTOR/795

You can buy a radio for gmrs refurbished cheap enough around $120 ICOM commercial radio and have it programmed. You can also have it programmed by your self but have to buy the cable for around $19 and the software is sometimes free.
DOCTOR/CDX795

Doctor that UHF Icom is likely not reprogrammable back all the way to murs (vhf)

i use my Icom T-90a HT
as well as 706MKIIG
and IC-7000

all 3 work great ( once moded ofcourse)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.