• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MURS but staying legit

Deus

Aug 25, 2010
I just bought my wife a boafeng because it operates on MURS and she has no license yet. I went to use my vx8DR only to see it does not allow TX on those freq. I know there is MOD but I don't want to make an illegal mod.

I am just trying to understand the logic of this. She has a cheapie that can access these freq legally with no license... I have what would be considered higher quality and can't! I just don't get this.

Is it possible that you purchased a radio (the "cheap" one) that had a modification done before you received it? Most 2M radios are capable of VFO into other frequency ranges for RX. There is factory modification to prevent transmit capabilities outside of the allocated 2M band (144-148 MHz).

There are also commercial band radios that have programmable frequencies that will operate between 136-174 MHz. Maybe your first radio was a commercial two way radio, and the other two are 2M Amateur radios. I don't know very much about the commercial type two way radios, nor their rules and regulations.

I am just trying to understand the logic of this. She has a cheapie that can access these freq legally with no license... I have what would be considered higher quality and can't! I just don't get this.

W9 is correct, neither radio is approved for MURS, not like anyone has not used them for that before.....or half a dozen other radios also not approved for the service, but.

Easy ( legal) thing to do is help her study and pass the tech test and use 2 meters or 440.

I agree there is often no logic to some of the rules FCC has in place......I often think to myself:
How many freaking radios do they want me to carry around?
Or FRS/GMRS radios sold in blister packs...... I am sure consumers read and follow the tiny little written instructions in the package about what channels they should ( legally) use at what power level.
We sell tons of them were I work and the tourists that buy them, rip the package open and toss the contents and give them to the kids to play with....uh I mean use them to stay in contact while visiting Yosemite Nat Park.

You might also check the section below to see what other people are using.:
MURS / FRS/GMRS

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
It does support it but it doesn't meet the MURS requirements. Finding good murs approved radios is hard and expensive.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated