1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

MURS HT antenna

Discussion in 'MURS / FRS / GMRS' started by mustang_gt_350, Aug 3, 2013.

1. mustang_gt_350

ALright, i have been looking around and all of the Diamond antennas and such from what i have seen have unusable SWR's on the MURS freq's. I have a baofeng uv-5r and would like to upgrade the antenna. I would like to use it to comonucite from an ultralight, to the ground. To me either by buying another handheld and putting up a Jpole for the house, setting up a mobile antenna on my jeep, and being able to use just the HT.

I really only want the need to buy another HT since i aleady have one, that way i can keep one on the plane, and one for handheld,car,house use and all i would have to do is swap antennas.

So is there anyone that makes a better antenna that will be compatable with my baofeng on the murs?

Or do you think i would be better off going with the GMRS route, and finding a better antenna for the HT's on that band?

2. FatHam

FatHam Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

You can get a Smiley cut to your frequency for under $25. Tough little antennas.
    2 Meter | Smiley Antenna

1 person likes this.
  3. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I second the use of a Smiley antenna. I have a couple of them and they are well made and can be orded cut for any freq you want.

4. mustang_gt_350

thanks, I wil have to check them out.

5. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

I add another vote for the use of a Smiley antenna (y)

Jeff

6. Wire Weasel

Wire Weasel Senior Moment

You can also get one of the dual band extended gain antennas that is a long stiff-flexible wire radiator types and cut it down .... but will need an Antenna Analyzer to check your trimming work. I'd snip only 1/8 to no more than 1/4" at a time.

I plan on doing this with one I have to make good resonance on one of these type antennas to make usable on a 154mhz business freq. my workplace uses.

Good luck

7. 959

959 Member

I use a diamond rh-771 antenna it works good it was only like 10.00 on ebay