• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Music on 166.2500

Interesting .....have no idea really

The first thing that comes to mind here is that might have been a point to point system for a radio station.

In my area there are a few radio stations with small towers and directional antennas pointing to an area that has several very tall towers.....just a guess

Reactions: 1 person
Interesting .....have no idea really

The first thing that comes to mind here is that might have been a point to point system for a radio station.

In my area there are a few radio stations with small towers and directional antennas pointing to an area that has several very tall towers.....just a guess

The local station this music is coming from is 95.1mhz...
The thing is 166 is the federal band isn't it ?

It's either an STL (Studio-Transmitter Link) for getting program content to the transmitter site or it's intermod messing with your scanner. If it is the former then you should be listening at at least 12.5 KHz bandwidth or even 25 KHz if you can. Most of those old VHF STL's are gone in favour of 900 MHz or higher digital systems but some still remain.

It's either an STL (Studio-Transmitter Link) for getting program content to the transmitter site or it's intermod messing with your scanner. If it is the former then you should be listening at at least 12.5 KHz bandwidth or even 25 KHz if you can. Most of those old VHF STL's are gone in favour of 900 MHz or higher digital systems but some still remain.

Pretty crystal clear for intermod,? I'm waiting to try and see how long the delay is from the signal to the tower to my FM stereo radio. Hey never heard of STL before do all stations do this or ?

It's KISS FM 105.5 and it's a STL but has a 10min delay with no commercials on 166.2500...this is cool cause less talk more MUSIC!(y)

Last edited:
Pretty crystal clear for intermod,? I'm waiting to try and see how long the delay is from the signal to the tower to my FM stereo radio. Hey never heard of STL before do all stations do this or ?

It's KISS FM 105.5 and it's a STL but has a 10min delay with no commercials on 166.2500...this is cool cause less talk more MUSIC!(y)

Intermod signals can sound clean as it is simply a product of two signals mixing and producing a third frequency. Not all stations have an STL system as some have the transmitter co-located right at the studio site. Some stations have special dedicated telco lines between the studio and transmitter site while others have a T1 or T3 data line with codecs on each end to pass the audio from the studio to the transmitter. When I was in broadcasting we had some special dedicated telco lines as well as some radio link STL's on 164 MHz, 450/455 MHz and 960 MHz as well as 1.7 GHz. A few of our sister stations were starting to use T1 data lines for audio and remote control functions. The 10 min delay with no commercials stumps me however. That is a long delay time and means the commercials are inserted at another point which makes this sound more like it may be part of a network where the same program content is carried by more than one transmitter. In this case the main program content is carried bt all the transmitters while the commercials are inserted in a manner such that each goes to it's own transmitter according to what area it was to be aired in depending on sales. We ran a four station network up here where the main content was broadcast on all the transmitters but the commercials were "split" out to different sites at the same time allowing localized advertising but run from a central location. It also allowed us to get paid a couple times for the same minute of commercials. ;)

Intermod signals can sound clean as it is simply a product of two signals mixing and producing a third frequency. Not all stations have an STL system as some have the transmitter co-located right at the studio site. Some stations have special dedicated telco lines between the studio and transmitter site while others have a T1 or T3 data line with codecs on each end to pass the audio from the studio to the transmitter. When I was in broadcasting we had some special dedicated telco lines as well as some radio link STL's on 164 MHz, 450/455 MHz and 960 MHz as well as 1.7 GHz. A few of our sister stations were starting to use T1 data lines for audio and remote control functions. The 10 min delay with no commercials stumps me however. That is a long delay time and means the commercials are inserted at another point which makes this sound more like it may be part of a network where the same program content is carried by more than one transmitter. In this case the main program content is carried bt all the transmitters while the commercials are inserted in a manner such that each goes to it's own transmitter according to what area it was to be aired in depending on sales. We ran a four station network up here where the main content was broadcast on all the transmitters but the commercials were "split" out to different sites at the same time allowing localized advertising but run from a central location. It also allowed us to get paid a couple times for the same minute of commercials. ;)

They say kiss fm which BTW has several local stations one is pop another is hip hop (yuck) another is classic country. So a total of 3 or 4 radio stations. Oh late last night I found a classical station STL on 172.XXX I don't know the time delay on that but they don't air commercials so no benefit there unless one can't afford a AMFM radio lols they can use a VHF scanner. CK that is a interesting article you write please write some more ?

Oh my, why the bad flashbacks ?

Four AM transmitter sites, one FM rebroadcast site, one dual FM station site with two separate transmitters on separate frequencies with associated antenna combiner unit, four VHF/UHF STL program link repeaters as well as an additional two STL transmitter sites, four separate studio locations with one central location serving as a master control studio feeding program content to five separate locations with the ability to split commercial feeds to each local area, and all the associated electronics to make all that stuff work and stay on the air. All by myself. On call 24/7. Oh yeah and the occassional call to service a 10 Kw AM station and a 100 Kw FM station and studio locations in Halifax where head office was located. Shit loads of work. Piss poor pay. Bad memories.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.