• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My 2 Meter Station

T23

Apr 17, 2010
I just got my 2 Meter base station setup. Its working great, I have programmed a repeater and it's matching pl tone into my radio and have built a vertical dipole for 2 meters which checks out great on my Heathkit 2102 SWR/Watt meter.

Kenwood tm 241a

Heathkit 2102 SWR/Watt Meter

19 Amp Radio Shack Power Supply

Homemade PVC coat-hanger vertical dipole antenna

And a can of Spam, No station is complete without a can of Spam...

Attachments

• DSC00098.JPG
    DSC00098.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC00099.JPG
    DSC00099.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 125

I think I went a bit crazy with the zip ties....:w00t: Oh well:D

SWR is just a hair above 1 running 50 watts.

Any idea as to wattage to distance ratio?

T23

I used the same antenna setup, coat hanger and all, only difference was I used 3/4" electric tape and mastic and a thin wooden rod for each end.

On the radio everybody gave me flak once I said I was using a horizontal dipole. Any time I said the word dipole on the air I get a dozen responses telling me about 1/4"ground planes, 5/8"wave, beams and etc.
I know its no-gain, I used dipoles in the past for shortwave rx and CB, my radio does 80watts, it has a nice low profile with no ground plane needed, it looks good in a tree, and last but not least, it has a flat angle of radiation, which is a nice thing when your station is on a mountain 4,000' above sea level.

A few things I learned from the dipole was,

Initially, it was reflecting alot of power back to the radio, but when attached to the analyzer SWR was <1.5:1. I had the coax going to the antenna at about a 45' angle like in your setup, but then it ran straight down to the ground. I suspect it was feeding back into the coax so I reoriented the coax so it went in horizontally out from antenna and added another coat hanger to keep the line back from the antenna. This fixed it.

I had a very low SWR after trimming with antenna just a few feet off the ground, but once pulled up in the tree it went up to around 1.6 or so.
I cant tune it 30' up in a tree, so I took it down and checked SWR from about 8' off the ground on a ladder and SWR was the same, so I trimmed it a bit more and got much better, around 1.1 or 1.2.
So it looks like impedance of a dipole is affected by its height off the ground, especially when its less than 1 wavelength off the ground.

I am curious if you had any similar issues?

73s

Well I got the same comments on the air, one guy went off on some tangent about HF when I said vertical dipole....Go figure... I am receiving 3 repeaters in the next city and can work them fine. I had some issue with the SWR. I had my feed line coming in at that angle almost from the start, I did have it hanging strait down when testing the antenna while building it. That DID cause my SWR to shoot up significantly. It was a 3:1 I believe...

My antenna is exactly where it is now in operation, hanging on the side of a window. And I run 50 watts with my setup.

T23

It's kind of funny that a lot of people that mainly work VHF forget about dipoles and give you all kinds of flak about them. For some reason there are a segment of people that think that they're only meant for HF, which couldn't be farther from the truth. The fact is that if the antenna gets you into the repeaters you want, and allows you to talk simplex to the stations you want, then it's doing the job just fine. Plus, it's cheap and gets you on the air! (y)

Yes, I agree, I am content with my station. ( I could use a larger can of Spam though :D) Everyone around here seems to only use the repeaters and theres not much simplex to be had. I might get a desk mic in the future though....

I was also wondering if you can co-phase 2 antennas for VHF?

T23

UPDATE: I can work 5 repeaters now.

And I have heard some increased activity on 145.520 simplex lately.

T23

2 meter 1/4 wave Ground Plane

Try one of these in front of that window where your shack is set up, you may do even better...
Or build a little stand off and place it just a foot or so outside that window...Lookout DX on Simplex...

I once built a Stacked pair of 2 Element beams using plastic broom handles for booms and mounted SO239's to them...I was living in an 3rd floor apartment.... clamped it to the desk...Repeaters and Simplex 30+ miles away was easy with 25 watts...:LOL:
ENJOY
All The Best
BJ

My 2 meter rig is a 241A
I made a "J" pole out of old 1/2" copper pipes that my "brother the plumber" pulled out of basements. Some have paint on them!!
Stuck it up from the ground up, tied to the eave of the house about 30' to the top. Chopped 75 Ohm coax for the right length for resistance.
SWR are fine. Get about 28 repeaters and do Simplex every night 25 miles clear using the Mid power setting.
Mind you I am set at the base of a "horse shoe" that surrounds me with the Adirondacks to the South and the Laurentian Mountains to the North. Montreal PQ. is to my East which is high as well.
Come spring, my 16 element beam is going on the tower on a low level at about 34' should be fun!
I like my radio, I hope you like yours. Good reports but mine has a little display quirk but this is your thread. Hang on to it. Reviews are good and a good talker!
tracker.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.