• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My antenna system...

It seems to me that he would have to be pretty bored to make up a "story" about his coax run then post questions related to it on multiple forums. I would be willing to bet that it's the doubters who are the boring ones.

I would be interested in Marconi's suggestion though, of checking how much wattage is making it up the mountain and into the antenna.

It seems to me that he would have to be pretty bored to make up a "story" about his coax run then post questions related to it on multiple forums. I would be willing to bet that it's the doubters who are the boring ones.
LOL.
No one has said anything about making up a story, we just would like a clear idea of what he meant by hard line wire.
Lots of people use ladder line for very long runs for good reasons.
I he got a big roll of Hard Line for a good price, that is great because it is not cheap....but it is a bit confusing with the word wire in the description..

Jeff

being wrong is highly under rated .
it gives you the chance to start doing things right .

i love a spirited debate when i'm right . and when i'm wrong i apologize . no biggie .

Reactions: 1 person
It looks like coax, but has a shield that appears to be aluminum tubing. There is a picture that Oatmeal put on another forum. I will see if I can get it put up here.

It looks like coax, but has a shield that appears to be aluminum tubing. There is a picture that Oatmeal put on another forum. I will see if I can get it put up here.

2rf66, do you think aluminum tubing would be flexible enough if this was coax type cable? How about corrugated copper?

Maybe you or Oatmeal could post the picture here or give us the link. I would like to see his installation though.

hardline.jpg

If memory serves, he said it's 1/2 or 5/8" OD. I think it was some free CATV cable scraps that he has pieced together. Here is a pic:

45541953.jpg

2rf66, do you think aluminum tubing would be flexible enough if this was coax type cable? How about corrugated copper?

Maybe you or Oatmeal could post the picture here or give us the link. I would like to see his installation.

I would like to see it too! This is about all I know about it, except that it does in fact work for him. It has been a couple years, but he and I have spoken on the radio before. Hopefully he can chime in and get some more pictures up.

I would like to see it too! This is about all I know about it, except that it does in fact work for him. It has been a couple years, but he and I have spoken on the radio before. Hopefully he can chime in and get some more pictures up.

So, now it is scraps of 75 ohm cable that he pieced together eh? This is not to say that 75 ohm won't work though, but it would mean more loss due to more mismatch.

Put on your hip boot guys.

That looks like the 75 ohm stuff Northland used for the main line around here, but i think most of it has been replaced now.
I would hate to work with that stuff, but if he got it for little to nothing it could be worth it.
Thanks for posting the picture.

Jeff

And please don't misunderstand, I have no reason to doubt him,
Then why do you?
I've never seen anyone's antenna over two football fields away from their house. Or, understood why you'd want one that far away.
That's because outside of your little world, people actually live in/around hills. I can certainly see even where I live, a situation where coax loss could be overtaken by mounting location. If out my back door is the side of a mountain face, I'd rather have my antenna on it, and not beside it.
As far as admitting I'm wrong, all you have to do is convince me I am. I don't think that's unreasonable. Do you?
- 'Doc
You dance and spin as good as any politician I've ever seen.

Reactions: Marconi
359, I post a lot of images, just to prove the facts of what I'm doing or trying to say or describe all the time. Thank goodness we can post pictures.

All Oatmeal has to do is post some pictures of this setup and the issue will go away. And if he don't do that, then disbelief will continue to raise questions.

For years I've heard such tales from guys claiming they're using a very long feed line up on a mountain and calling it a mountain line, but I've never seen one show any evidence of such a setup. What is wrong with showing some proof?

Guilty until proven innocent? He doesn't owe you a pic to prove anything, so just move along if you have nothing helpful to add.

As I posted a page or so ago......it is more of a not sure what he meant by Hard line WIRE...that is confusing.
Lots of guys run ladder line for very long runs because of low loss and it is much cheaper than coax/hardline.
He may have posted on another forum about his set-up, but I do not see it here.
If you would like to go back through all of his posts on this forum and find it, that's fine.
Maybe we should just wait for oatmeal to stop by and tell us.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?