• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base My Antron 99 base setup

red97k1500

Nov 26, 2012
texas
717EDC46-DA63-4248-9ED1-2B12BA54DD6E.jpeg 5C432083-1998-4717-8C59-E7307A078495.jpeg 467A95BD-852D-4156-8C00-C34BE29B7939.jpeg For the last 4 months this has been my setup, three sections of Lowe’s chain link fence top rail buried two feet in the ground with about six 80lb bags of quick Crete, the bottom section is bracketed to the shed in the back yard. The Antron is about 30 ft to the base. If using rg213 with an ugly balun about 3 ft below the base of the antenna. I also have a ground rod driven into the ground near the mast, and bonded to the mast.

I also included a picture of my 11 meter horizontal dipole.

Reactions: TheRealPorkchop

After the thunderstorms that rolled through yesterday day, and also reading the grounding in the shack thread. I also read the story about the guy that captain kilowatt knows, where he had an Antron 99 up on a mast with nothing but a ground rod, and a lightning strike blew the cabinets off his kitchen wall.it got me thinking about my antenna setup. I realize that this is a controversial subject, and people have strong opinions about grounding.

I have done some reading, but it’s almost like an information overload. My question is what else should I do to this antenna/mast setup other than just driving a 8ft copper clad ground into the ground next to the mast.
I guess I’m more of a visual learner.

Everyone is welcome to comment whether you use no ground at all, or have hundreds of dollars into your grounding system.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. Unhook your coax when not in use, that will help make you feel better. From the looks of the pic, lightning would probably hit the huge tree behind the shed before it hits your 30 ft pipe anyway. If it did hit your antron heaven forbid.. that ground cable would evaporate.

Reactions: TIN_CAN
They do make a coax lightening arrestor. You could install that as well as a feel good measure. I'm not sure how well they work.

I usually unscrew my feed where it meets my 2 way switch (that runs to my 2 CB) and let it hang down and away from my gear. Best in can do in a rush if I hear lots of thunder.

Those two bits of wire with the red arrows pointing to them are far from sufficient enough to cope with a whack.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.