• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My caged dipole, success, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

TruckerKevin

KD9NTD
Nov 9, 2017
Buckner, Illinois
www.qrz.com
I successfully made an 80 meter cage dipole using #14 THHN wire, and cut several pieces of 4" sewer pipe as spreaders. The feedpoint is a Jetstream 1:1 balun, and it is only at 37 feet because I actually want it for NVIS work. NOW, the feedpoint balun only had a so-259 connector coming out of it, but I converted back to 2 wire, and used my 300 ohm ladder line that I already had and ran that to my shack. I had coax, but I really wanted to use ladder line. This dipole works very well. (Even on 7 and 20 with a tuner) But it took me nearly all day to trim it to resonance,,,,, and this is where it gets tough.

Before I achieved success, I could NOT get the SWR to even come within reason no matter what I did. I would not doubt it having something to do with the before mentioned coax back to ladder line at the feedpoint. But I didnt want to use coax all the way to the shack. (hindsight, I probably should have skipped the jetstream feedpoint balun all together, but it made a handy hook)

It was not UNTIL I inserted an MFJ 3 in 1 balun at the shack end, and slid the slider to the 4:1 position, then the SWR dropped like a rock and I am sitting pretty at 1:2 SWR virtually across where I talk at. And the ohms dropped to almost 50. So now I have 2 baluns going on 1 dipole here. a 1:1 at the feedpoint and a 4:1 at the radio.

I really do not want to use the MFJ 4:1 balun at the radio end because it is only rated at 200 or so watts, but I have a 1 kilowatt amp. I looked at toroids to wind my own for a beefier solution but they are mightily expensive.

Is there some sort of quick dirty solution to avoid the 4:1 balun? I really hate to have to climb back up the tower but what if I eliminated the jetstream balun at the feedpoint? Would this cure it? Or maybe use 75 ohm section of coax at the radio end?

You are using a balanced antenna fed with balanced feedline. Ditch the balun at the feedpoint. You only need one at the shack end. You may need to redo everything after this but that is the proper way to feed it. Either that or run coax all the way to a balun at the feedpoint ONLY.

Sigh. I knew better than to do some crap like this. I hope it don't make my caged dipole electrically short now, I trimmed the hell out of it.

On a good note, it is out performing everything else I have on every other band, hex beam included. At least the conditions may be making this possible

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.