• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My CB station is finally coming together

The Quad is a Lightning 4+......Also known by their previous name as a Signal engineering 4 quad.

So far, Im having a blast! People that had a S1 on me runing 1kw are hearing me s4-5 with only 200 watts!!!! I work DX that I hear with S1-S3 that other locals can not.

I was surprised that the SWR is pretty good. 1.13 on CH 40 and 1.35 Ch1 Vertical side
Horizontal is 1.4 Ch40 and 1.6 on Ch1

I will drop the tower to adjust the horizontal and install the Vertical at the Top. The Boom of the beam measures right at 70 feet.

Reactions: 1 person
I used a John Deere 7410, and had some friends help push it up to about the 20 Deg mark. Then the tractor pulled her right up.

Cool! Just wondering. I have a homemade tower made of welded 3/4&1/2" rigid electrical conduit with a 2' face the full length of the tower(30') and is hinged on it's base. I was thinking about modifying it into a 60' tower but with the added sections reducing towards the top. I have the same sized hole you have for yours but no rebar. Only three 36" galvanized 1" dia. Threaded rods with bolts and washers on the bottom to anchor them. I have a 13' pole set in the base along side the tower which it's top is guyed to a 1/4 cu. yard block of concrete. I use a 8 pully rope hoist attached to it and use my tow hook on my SUV to raise and lower it. Do you have any formulas for calculating the what it takes to raise a tower like yours?

Last edited:
I dont know the formulas off hand. I am working on designing a fulcrum point that will bolt to the pad around the tower like a cradle. There will be a pulley at the top (guessing 25 feet) and a dc powered winch at the bottom. I will be working on those formulas and post the when Im done.

Fantastic thread and I really appreciate the photos inspired me to finally get off my duff to get around to my tower installation.

Glad its helping people. When I lower the tower to mount the vertical, I will take detailed pictures of the quads feed system and construction.

Glad its helping people. When I lower the tower to mount the vertical, I will take detailed pictures of the quads feed system and construction.
Yes I would like to how the quad is fed, I might just build one and scrap the astrobeam rebuild.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.