• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Cobra 148 NW ST. TEXAS STAR DX400 NO VAR NOB

RFBLEEDER

Jan 10, 2013
I'VE been useing this tx and 148 on a pwr supply astron vs-12m for the radio. and a 665cca battery for the amp.(have had this in my truck and have approx opp pwr) my dk. is 2 and swing is 8. opp is 125wts. Ive also have had a superstar 3900 with a DK. of 1wt and a swing of 13or so. my opp is 175ish onSSB. MY ? IS, IS THERE A RADIO not to $$$ that i can use close to or as good as my 148...?? (it has great ears @ a low noise level). I dont need to drive full wide open just a little more opp on the box.. thanks

Get a real wattmeter and adjust the radio output correctly. That should solve the issue of running any radio with any amp. Not talking about a Dosy or ParaDynamics meter either. More like an Autek or even an MFJ. Then you need to use the amps input specs and tune accordingly. That is; if you really want to do it right . . .

What kind of meter are you using?
Your numbers are going to vari depending on the meter used.
A meter that reads AVG watts will not show you what the amp is doing peak.
The 400 uses 4 x 2290 that are approx 60/80 watt output transistors, so on AM you do not want to run much more than 80 to 100 watts dead key.
The 148 is a good radio, and the 3900 is a good rig as well if you want the extra bands, really as far as it goes you will be hard pressed to find something that has as good TX/RX than the radios you have without more $$$ as you put it.
Most exports will not offer much more than more power out of the radio, more bands than the 3900, and other things like lights/freq counter/echo and other add on`s and you will just have to turn most of them down to prevent over driving your amp.

Have a look at this Vid:
Texas Star 500V Performance Report - YouTube

I know it is a 500V, but pay attention to what he says about the meter, if you apply the same idea to the 400 using the built in meter, looking for output in the top 2/3 of the scale and forward power, you are set up fairly well even if you have no external meter.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.