• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My First HT: VX-8DR vs ID-51 vs TH-D72

monson987

Mar 13, 2013
Okay folks, here's the deal: I've had my license for 5+ years, but sadly, I have yet to be active on the bands. For Christmas, my wife contributed to the "ham radio fund" and said that she wanted me to finally get my first HT. So now it's March, and I'm still stuck on the decision between three great handsets:

1) Yaesu VX-8DR: Widest Tx/Rx range, submersible, rugged, jack of all trades.
2) Icom ID-51: DSTAR, microSD, large display, submersible
3) Kenwood TH-D72: USB port, computer functionality, excellent APRS features.

I wish I could just buy all three, then I wouldn't be bugging you guys, but I have to start with just one. That being said, I can now afford any one of the three.

Of course the answer is ultimately, "they're all great in their own way -- it just depends on what you want to do with the hobby." I guess that's something else I'm stuck on since I'm a greenie.

Thus this thread: If you own one of the above radios, I want to hear why/how you have fun with it. Who out there likes the DSTAR technology, and do you think it's the future of amateur radio? I'd like to make an investment in a radio that will last for a while. Is there a way to get the Icom ID-51 to do APRS, even with using some sort of external device? It would be great if some of you guys have owned more than one of these radios, and one as stood above the rest for some reason.

Last edited:

I have the VX8DR and Icom 92AD. The VX is my goto radio for HT activities centered mostly around public service special events. Just took pictures of the 92 this morning in preparation to sell it. Nothing wrong with it just don't use it so its move on. This area of TX has lots of Dstar repeaters which is a point you need to make sure your area has.

Both of the other two radios are good choices. Analog VHF/UHF is going to be with us for a very long time so neither is at risk to be obsoleted that I can tell. DStar is gaining in the number of repeaters and users, but at a slow rate. Very steep learning curve, but the software in the 51 makes it so much easier than the 92.

Dstar position can be put in the APRS database, but I seem to recall the repeater has to be running software to do that for you.

I have the GPS for the VX8, but have never really used it. If I need APRS it has been for public service special events using it for operators that are vehicle mobile and I use a Kenwood D710.

Not a lot of help but maybe some....

Mike

I have the VX8DR and Icom 92AD. The VX is my goto radio for HT activities centered mostly around public service special events.

No...very helpful! Thanks. Was there any specific reason that the VX was your goto for the public service special events? Did you use bands that were not available on the 92AD? One thing I find very attractive is all the bands which are available to you on the VX. Would I miss those if I stuck with a dual bander such as the TH-D72 or ID-51?

The VX8 is thinner and weights less than the 92 and was the biggest reason it was my primary HT. The VX8 speaker mic is also lighter and smaller than the one for the 92. Only used the 2m and 70cm bands on either radio. Its nice to have the bands available but the truth be told I could have used the FT60 and would have gotten the job done. I thought a Dual band, Dual receive was important but seldom use the dual receive. Sometime listening to one person is difficult.

Difficult for me to say if you would miss the bands the other radios don't have. I don't really know the differences. For me the HT is a ham band communication tool. The other features are nice to have if I need them. Any of the three will fill that role. Just make sure that if you go with the 51 there are DStar repeaters in the area. A Google search of "Dstar 'your city/state'" might be the fast track to know what you have local. There are Dstar web sites, but Google might be quicker and faster. Worth the try anyway.

Any of the three should be able to fill you primary "ham" needs. Which radio fulfills the most secondary needs will likely be your pick.

Good Luck!
Mike

No...very helpful! Thanks. Was there any specific reason that the VX was your goto for the public service special events? Did you use bands that were not available on the 92AD? One thing I find very attractive is all the bands which are available to you on the VX. Would I miss those if I stuck with a dual bander such as the TH-D72 or ID-51?

Reactions: 1 person
Like most things, there are pluses and minuses to all three radios. D-Star is pretty neat if there are D-Star repeaters in your area. If not, you can always put one up or use a DVAP of some type. The Icom has some other really neat features that the others do not: Programmable via SDCard, ability to record qso's, and an absolutely wonderful user interface experience. The TH-D72 has the TNC capabilities for packet/digital modes and the best APRS functionality. The VX-8DR is like the swiss army knife of HT's - it has a ton of features not found in other radios. If scanning is or a wide frequency RX range is important to you, the VX-8DR is also the best of the three at that.

If I had to choose just one, I would probably choose the VX-8DR unless I was really interested in D-Star. It's a tough call, though. I've owned all three, although I just sold the VX-8 to fund the Icom ID-51 purchase. I'm still working on learning / reviewing all of the ID-51 features, as well.

Have Yae and Ken.

Can't get much more thorough than Moleculo's post.

The 8 is the do-everything: transmit, APRS, wide RX, BC, small, durable, etc. Just a great overall radio. Def learning curve. Got the Ken for APRS and as a backup. Have the D710 for mobile, so familiar w features. Great radio but just doesn't feel as good in the hand as the VX.

Would recommend either. You need to physically check them out. It's more of a personal decision than something you can decide from data on a forum.

Considering 51, but, as Moleculo was kind enough to confirm, you can't scan above 479. PS in my area is in the 480s.

My .02.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I have TH-D72, I choose it over Yaesu, beacuse of the firmware upgrade possibility, great PC connectivity and better looks :)

I really like the ID-51, but D-Star here in S5 is not so popular, so spending all that money is a no-go here for me.

Best thing would be for you to try them, find some local hams and play with all three of the radios, at the end of the day they are all great.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.