• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My first time

Wire Dawg

Jul 21, 2012
Was anxious and concerned about what was permeating my thoughts. She was sixteen, and I had never held such a sweet thing in my hands. Wondered if I should wait for a stiffer mast, or if there would be screams, and even about the legality of the whole thing. But curiosity and desire got the best of me, and with only a partially erected Maco M104c, I pressed my finger on the Astatic 878, and lit the beautiful Texas Star DX1600. It was pure ecstasy to announce my station call sign through equipment that I slowly gathered, after research and help by members from this forum. Thanks to all whom have answered my queries, provided reports, links and honest feedback. Although the station is not yet connected to good ground, and the antenna stands like a sore thumb on a thin 18’ pipe (couldn’t wait for a telescopic mast to arrive), there were no screams or complaints from neighbors. My two Cobras, a 140 GTL and a 132 that have been with me since late 70’s, stood without jealousy as they watched the debut of the sophisticated RCI 2970n2. Both laughed their meters off after witnessing the huge appetite for amps by the new radio. They will not be put to pasture, as each will revert to serve me well as trusty mobile units. Two Bulldog RDC-90 (ugly as sin) worked like a charm in parallel and provided amps galore to the TS, without oscillations, noises, sparks or hums noted on site (or by dx contacts). Don’t know if the Bencher YA-1 and RG 213 are helping with noise or RFI issues. A somber, slow-metered Astron fed the Ranger without hesitance. Four dx contacts asked what mic I was using, and praised modulation for a strong presence, excellent clarity and transparency. The stability of SSB from the RCI was precise and steady, just as I read prior to purchase. Only disappointment came from the meter; a RS 21-534 that kept reading from 1600 to 1800 with just 20 watts DK: a true hyperbole. How I wish my old Royce 2-100 was also a watt meter! I hereby relay my gratitude to moderators, hams and all who enhance the enjoyment of this hobby through good information and proud camaraderie. 73’s to all (including any who may have experienced ill thoughts at the beggining of this thread).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.