• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

my maco v5 install detailed with specs

9deuce

Jan 6, 2014
THAT LAKESIDEBOSS
INSTALL:

well the MACO was installed yesterday have it up at 35 or more ft with guys installed...... all n all installation was very easy other then a few simple issues.... the tuning now that's a different story but... from the default setting or instructions in the manual wasn't cutting it with an SWR at CH1 - 3.5 CH19 - 2.9 CH40 - 1.8..... so i moved the top element down and there was barely a change..... so i decided to lower the element down all the way and test it and that was real bad i mean REAL BAD with an SWR CH1 - 6.7 CH19 - 5.1 CH40 - 3.2.... so i reversed everything started back where i was....... the lower i got past a certain point on the main section of the antenna the SWR jumped really bad witch told me it was outta tune.... and found the lowest i could go on the SWR with the main element and left it there...now ive read that i should adjust the feed point.... so i started there next...facing you and the so239 was at 6:00 and my feedpoint or wire with the clamp was between 3:00 and 4:00 so i went from there and moved it back a half an inch at an time twords 12:00 and checked the SWR meter and i found that it was lowering the swr.... as i moved the wire clamp to a little past 1:00 and checked it and the SWR was CH1 - 1.5 CH19 - 1.2 CH40 - 1.0 and was happy with that setting and tightened every thing real good left it...... the SWR DIPS harder on the begining of 11meters then the end of 11 meters its weird but does the job.....note that i was testing this on a 10ft mast..... i moved the antenna to the 35ft mast.... with THE FINAL INSTAL it was at 35ft the swr went to CH1 - 1.4:1 CH19 - 1.3:8 CH40 - 1.0:4
reason for the SWR higher at 10ft and lower at 35ft i think..... was the 35ft mast was 10ft away from it on the ground and was conflicting

TESTING:

testing it out last night i made lots contacts.... 20 QSO's with 3 ppl being 10-1 everyone said i sounded good tree top tall talked to a guy in atlanta from greenwood SC said i was hitting him s2 with no drops or static good clean audio and that s on a barefoot bearcat 980 with no kicker....

FINAL RESULTS:

so over all my final results were... the main vertical element was at 243 inches tall and the radials were 108 inches wide..... with the so239 at 6:00 and the wire and clamp between 1 and 2:00 with an SWR on CH1 - 1.4:1 CH19 - 1.3:8 CH40 - 1.0:4

COMPLAINTS:

my only COMPLAINTS about the antenna is the instructions they are hard to make out due to none of the parts labeled once i figured it out i labeled them my self with a permanent outdoor marker.....

the other COMPLAINT is the mast clamp it kinda was tight and real thin and wouldn't straighten out the antenna and had it tilted it on the mast pipe.... and that caused it to lean so that wouldn't work.... THE NEXT BEST THING i got the drill out marked the hole.... then i drilled thru it and the mast added a bolt in the holes added some metal shims with the help of a 2x4 and a hammer all the way around and tightened down on it and she was set.... other then these things the antenna is nice very rugged and would recommend it

REMARKS FOR FUTURE UPGRADES TO THE PRODUCT:

if MACO would use a mast clamp that was more rugged and with NUTS welded to both sides of the clamp where you could add a bolt with a nut on it and screw it in then with a wrench to tighten the other bolt to lock it heck maybe even 4 all the way around...
UPDATE the manual and label parts.....of course they are labeled in the book but not on the elements there self's it would make things alot easier and faster to install for some ppl who are just starting out..... heck i scratched my head a few times LOL

maybe my post will help some ppl.... if you do get some benefit from this post leave a comment let me know im always willing to help ppl :D

(y):whistle:<More audio>

Last edited:

i hope not..... i did notice when the birds were on it the SWR meter showed 1.4:1 with out birds on it
it droped to 1.4:0 with them on it but.......1 lol thats not even a worry JUST NO BIRDS NESTS IN THE COIL

Last edited:
i hope not..... i did notice when the birds were on it the SWR meter showed 1.4.1 with out birds on it
it droped to 1.4.0 with them on it but.......1 lol thats not even a worry JUST NO BIRDS NESTS IN THE COIL

I'm having some trouble following your standing wave expressions.

What is 1.4.1 and 1.4.0? SWR is expressed as a ratio ie *:* .... 1.5:1, 2:1, 1:1 etc.

Your antenna's vertical might be a little on the short side if the swr is higher on ch 1 and lower on ch 40. But if you're pleased with the results. Just make sure that your ground radials are straight.
Question: what material are you using for guying? If you're using galvanized guy wire,are you using insulated eggs every few feet?

Maco V 5/8 Antenna Review
http://www.qth.com/ka9fox/guy_insulator_spacing.txt
http://hf-antenna.com/019/
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=34563.0;wap2
Using guys for a sloper: http://www.copperelectronics.com/discus4/messages/34/88099.html?1146406020
http://w4rnl.net46.net/hardware.html

Last edited:
im using dacron for guys had a 500ft spool from a old 4x4 adventure last year its about the size of a number 2 pencil give or take the radials are as straight as i can getem

3/16 Inch - Dacron Rope - 500 Ft

Last edited:
nice review . how about some pics? i too think the verticl should be around 246
or whatever the longest lenth ya can get ... for 11 meters. then fine tune with the ring
but if swr i fine where ya want it then probaly good to go.i was gonna buy one
but the unclear directions made me get my sirio 2016

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.