• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Mobile Rig

Mongoose

Mar 11, 2009
Warren, Michigan
The new cars today don't give you much options for mounting a radio but I figured it out.

Attachments

• P1000981.JPG
    P1000981.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 241
  • P1000982.JPG
    P1000982.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 244
  • P1000984.JPG
    P1000984.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 213

That's a good job, Mongoose. You didn't say what kind of car it is but looks typical of just about anything us "normal" middle class can afford (I guess a Lincoln or Caddy has a bigger interior...??)

My little Malibu can barely shoehorn in a Galaxy DX959. I had my Cobra 200GTL-DX mounted similar to yours, but with a homemade "heavy duty cardboard" mount, instead of bolting the mounting bracket to the console. I used velcro to hold the cardboard mount, which fit the Cobra snugly. But, the radio is just TOO big for the car... so it's sittin' in the box right now! :cry: I may stick up my Antron 99 on a pole and put it back to work as a base.

Thanks, It's a 2005 Monte Carlo. I didn't want to mount it on the drivers side of the console because if my wife were to drive it then it would be in the way of the seat moving up. Passenger side it would be in their way. I lose a cup holder but that's ok. I also run a Wilson 1000 mag mount just behind the moon roof.

Monte, a nice car! I had a 1984... lasted until 1994 and then sold it to a friend who drove it another 4 years.

I managed to "mount" my DX959 vertically, up against the console, just in front of the drivers seat. I will take a pic and post it in a day or two (don't have the radio in the car right now because I am carpooling downtown to work, 15 miles away, and don't want to leave it in the park n' ride all day).

It's almost a good fit, but as good as I can get it. the radio almost sticks out enough to bug me, my right leg (accelerator foot!) will frequently lean against it during hour and a half long drives on the hiway on the weekend.

Not sure if you tried that or not. I use velcro to hold the top of the radio to the left side of the console. That way, my cup holder is still free. :D If you get some decent quality velcro, it holds pretty good (but you have to glue a couple pieces on the top of the radio and a couple on the left side of the console).

I also run a Wilson 1000, but a trunk mount. I'll put some pics up this weekend. Always good to "compare notes".

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.