• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

my new radio has problems

OK, I'm reading the meter on the radio, I 've also tried a radioshack meter on pep, and the meter on my LDG tuner. My Elmer said something like it was common to see readings like I got. But why does his radio drive up to 100 watts with talking normally. Also when i turn the speech processor on and turn the mike gain fully right the needle on the radio barely moves. It should be centered in the blue area. This leads me to believe I have some sort of problem. It just seems like i have to yell into the mike or talk abnormally loud, sort of like the parameters are a little too low for the audio mike gain.
Does anyone have the same radio? and what kind of meter readings do they get on ssb.

Is your Elmer using an external meter, or the one on his radio?

If that "radioshack meter on pep" doesn't require a power supply or internal battery, it isn't a PEP "instrument". You (and we) are shooting in the dark until you get a real PEP meter and check out things that way, into a dummy load. Remove all the extra things from the signal path and just have the radio, the meter and a good 50 ohm dummy load. That will tell us more about the situation than just about anything else.

Reactions: 928bolo
What is this switch used for? I can't see why you would want to limit the radio to 50w.

Some people like to limit themselves to 5 watts. Plent6 of reasons to limit power out. Driving a transverter is one possibility. Some take milliwatts while others may take 20 or 30 watts in. Much more than that will destroy it. Same is true for driving some amps. It safeguards against accidentally over driving it. Battery operation is another reason. Batteries will last longer and the signal difference is negligible.

It is usually someone new that is scouring the forum for interesting stuff, although I have done it myself when I found it relevant to something I needed to know... just as the latest poster did here. But when I saw the date, wow! Lol

Brett

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Wow is right! I just read this thread and I sounded like a little kid. We learn so much. The FT-840 had nothing wrong with it but the screwdriver I put in it. It worked great after an alignment and I have since purchased an Icom 7300.

Wow is right! I just read this thread and I sounded like a little kid. We learn so much. The FT-840 had nothing wrong with it but the screwdriver I put in it. It worked great after an alignment and I have since purchased an Icom 7300.
WELL , Lets bring this old thread alive again.. If I am reading this right Herbet, your FT-840 only needed an Alignment and it fixed your lower power output isses? Do you remember who did the alignment for you?

Kory

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated