• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

N.P.C mod for a RCI Super Star 158EDX Please.

LightFoot

Dec 28, 2008
Hi to all reading this Post. As the title says we are looking for an NPC mod and Placement for this Particular Radio. RCI Super Star 158EDX Radio. Any info would be sincerely appreciated. Best regards and the warmest of wishes from Us out here on the sunny Coast of San Francisco.........(y)

Hi to all reading this Post. As the title says we are looking for an NPC mod and Placement for this Particular Radio. RCI Super Star 158EDX Radio. Any info would be sincerely appreciated. Best regards and the warmest of wishes from Us out here on the sunny Coast of San Francisco.........(y)

Take a look into schematic. Think, do the mod.
Mike

Take a look into schematic. Think, do the mod.
Mike

Not all of us have the skill or knowledge to do this mod as you suggest - but you are right for saying what you did too.

Not quite sure which chassis model this radio is. Once identified, there should be info available here or elsewhere to do this mod. Think the cbradiomag guy pointed out in his review of this radio that it has plenty of audio. But I can also understand wanting an NPC mod too. Problem is, can you set it up so that the audio wave/peak won't get flat topped? (an o-scope is needed to adjust it right with the mic you intend to use on it to make it work best - IMO)

Last edited:
Yeah - my point is that are you just looking for loud audio and a lot of forward swing from a low carrier? If so the radio already does that.

As far as negative peak compression, I'd be way more concerned about the fact that the radio is prone to drifting around rather than worrying about waveforms that most people on 11 meters could care less about anyway.

As primarily a SSB operator I got rid of the SS-158EDX pretty quick. If I was full time channel 6'er I'd say go for it.

Yeah - my point is that are you just looking for loud audio and a lot of forward swing from a low carrier? If so the radio already does that.

As far as negative peak compression, I'd be way more concerned about the fact that the radio is prone to drifting around rather than worrying about waveforms that most people on 11 meters could care less about anyway.

As primarily a SSB operator I got rid of the SS-158EDX pretty quick. If I was full time channel 6'er I'd say go for it.

That says it all right there. Many years ago I had an RCI 2950 and Delta Force that had the non-volted final version of the NPC. Ran the AM carrier at about 1.8 watts in to a two pill 2879 amp. Smoken audio on AM and great SSB talking as well.

Hi to everyone again, Thank you all for participating . I just acquired the radio from a friend tonight who is out of the hobby. In Reality the radio does not need this Mod.I was mislead that without it The radio would not swing. I am achieving 2 watts of dead key and swinging to 40 watts. Its driving my Amp just Great. I was unaware that the radio alone was capable of this. Ive performed this Particular mod to my 2950 and it really works Great. I want to extend Greetings again to all that responded and wish you all the best of the best................San Francisco LightFoot with the Golden Wave..............(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.