• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Name me off some good BASE staion kickers.

Im not sure if you can still get them, but the Boomer Deluxe 35 amp base station power supply is a pretty good bang for your buck. It has hi med low controls, pre amp, and automatic ssb crossover. (I think thats right about the ssb?) Anyways I bought one new a couple years ago either through copper electronics, or h & y electronics. When i say it has a built in power supply i mean it has (1) power supply for the amplifer itself and you can also hook up anoter radio amp ect. to the external posts located on the front of the amp/power supply combo. This is a pill type amp, but again its all about what your looking for. As far as tupe type amps I have 4 or 5 maco tube types and also a maveric 250 tube type and they all perform great. Tubes and upkeep on those however are prone to be very costly.
Hope this helps!

What is the opinion of the KLV 400 linear in the CB community? It seems like the only *new* tube amp available.

It seems to me I would be way ahead just going for a mobile unit, and buying a linear power supply. I can buy a Midnight Special and a Linear for the same price as the KLV 400 and have nearly double the wattage. :eek:

What is the opinion of the KLV 400 linear in the CB community? It seems like the only *new* tube amp available.

It seems to me I would be way ahead just going for a mobile unit, and buying a linear power supply. I can buy a Midnight Special and a Linear for the same price as the KLV 400 and have nearly double the wattage. :eek:

I havent heard any feedback on the KLV, and never had one myself...
And yes mobile linear and powersupply works....i just like the looks of a base amp if im going to use it as one.

I had a KLV-400 and liked it a lot. I sold it because it was redundant, and I don't do much 11 meters anymore. It is really a 200-250 watt amp. You can get more out of it, but it won't hold up. Be nice to it and they are good, clean sounding amps.

I havent heard any feedback on the KLV, and never had one myself...
And yes mobile linear and powersupply works....i just like the looks of a base amp if im going to use it as one.

Owning a KLV/RM amp is like sticking your tongue down your auntie's mouth.....it'll work, but you don't want anyone finding out about it.

The KLV-400 is on the edge of destruction when working properly. Way too much plate voltage. Expect to launch parts if you like to yammer.

The OP should state his goals.

Does he care about neighborhood interference? If not just get a pill amp biased hard into class C. That way he can run an cheap unregulated power supply and swing lots of watts without much heat.

If he cares about neighbors and having audio that doesn't sound like a kazoo go out and get a hamm amp with a heavy power supply and the most plate dissipation he can afford.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.