• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Name These Beams

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
Hi guys, a friend of mine took this picture. He said it is a neighbor's antenna, and is about 35 feet off the ground. Can anyone tell me the manufacturer and model of the HF beam by looking at the picture?

Thanks and 73,
RT307

The top antenna is a Cushcraft A270-10S dual bander for 2m/70cm with five elements on each band. The large yagi is a 15m monobander I believe. I scaled the size in relation to the known element lengths of the other yagi. It has a reflactor and a single director with the middle four elements all driven in what is called a log cell arrangement. You can just see the criss-cross feeders along the boom. Still digging for a manufacturer. It may be an old Hygain. My brain is foggy. Just got up and head is pounding. I hate night shifts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Thanks Captain Kilowatt! I was puzzled by that arrangement on the boom that you mentioned, and wondered if it was possibly a multiband using different feed points. I tried looking at the usual suspects online, and didn't find one that looked like it. Really thought the dual bander was too small for anyone to identify, so thanks for that.

RT307

I have a Cushcraft A270-10S so it jumped right out at me. LOL I also opened the image in an image editor program and blew it up to see the criss-cross feeders. Having a hard time locating a manufacturer and specific model number. Likely the antenna is old and obsolete as it is hard to get info on.

This is only a 4 element antenna but some of the hardware/cabling looks similar to the HF beam. The site doesn't give an overall picture so hard to tell.

Not sure if it's a Hy-Gain judging by what I can see of the coax to antenna connection.

Could be a homebrew? I recently purchased some antennas from SK estate and he had hombrew 6 element 6 meter quad on 3"OD tubing and the boom was 24 feet.

Name'em? Okay. The first one, since it's two antennas in one, call Fred and Wilma. The next one's name is Alfred.
How'zat?
- 'Doc

(No, I am not drunk. But I'm off work and away from that place so it almost is as nice as being drunk!)
Ooo! Ask me about the two young ladies (not old enough for a drivers license) who chased after the waiter and cook today! Both of them, waiter and cook would go to jail if they even thought about it! Must be why they snuck off, you think??
[Snuck is past tense of sneak in RedNeck.]

the hf looking beam is interesting with ass manny of the driven elements im wondering if its a log periodic of some type but the spacing on the front element dont make sence

It is a monobander with a log cell driven arrangement like this.This image has a couple more director elements but it is the same thing. The multi element log cell arrangment allows for wide band operation over a single band but it is NOT multi band. As for the director spacing, it would depend on whether the antenna is optimized for F/B ratio or max gain. Looks like max gain to me with the wide spacing.

LogYag.gif

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted