• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NEC2 and groundwave

The DB

Aug 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I was asked by Henry HPSD to confirm the ground wave accuracy of NEC2 based models (such as 4NEC2) before I start reporting information based on it. I've done some research and found that there really isn't much info on it out there.

Henry has used (or has at least referenced) EZNEC Pro to me and publicly in the past. Assuming this is a basis for comparison of accuracy this is the information I have found on-line that has information on this topic.

I'll start with Cebik and a quote from this page:

Cebik said:
EZNEC also implements the NEC2/NEC-4 ground wave (RP1) output.

This was found in the NEC4 portion of the page for EZNEC Pro, and as it is suggesting that EZNEC Pro is using the NEC2/NEC4 code to generate ground wave data, this would suggest that the ground wave data from other programs that use NEC2/NEC4 data would be just as accurate as EZNEC Pro.

Next on this page we have this quote:

Roy Lewalle said:
This can be easily verified by running NEC-2 with ground wave analysis enabled, or with EZNEC pro if you have it.

Again, NEC2 data is being referred to along with the EZNEC Pro data for ground waves.

Finally I have this quote from this page:

fmradio said:
The groundwave fields calculated even by a suitable NEC2 model of a real-world, AM broadcast monopole system using buried radials closely can duplicate the fields accurately measured for that real-world system by a professional broadcast engineering firm using a calibrated FI meter (link below).

My NEC2D calculations are shown at the top of that graphic, and are based on the physical conditions generating the real-world, measured results shown at the bottom of that graphic.

This again specifically states that NEC2 ground wave data is accurate.

Does anyone have further information in regards to NEC2 and ground waves? Anything that shows it is accurate, or inaccurate?

The DB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.