• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need a cure for NS-9000

Sammitch

Oct 20, 2014
Hello everybody
I have a Northstar ns-9000, and the coarse clarifier has a detent in the middle of its range of movement. I am fighting trying to get someone on frequency, it seems it needs to be right on the edge of the detent and does not want to stay there.
Is there a way to cure this? The fine clarifier apparently is not unlocked for transmit, turning it does not help except for receive. Any help or info will be appreciated.

Thanks, Sammitch

Thank you, the radio works fine if I can keep it from slipping back into the "ditch" of the detent. Why they would design the clarifier with a detent in it is beyond me. It would work better as a vfo if it had no detent to fall into.
Is there a way to unlock the fine adjustment to work on both the xmit and receive? That may help if there is.
Thanks. Sammitch

I have never heard of this radio before today. I looked it up I was amazed at the resemblance to the Galaxy DX-959. If you turn the 10K switch off and try to tune in what happens? The detent or notch you are talking about is actually inside the pot. The detent is used during calibration and alignment. If the detent is causing you a problem you could just change the pot out, or get an alignment,

That was a huge problem with those Chassis Radios Galaxy NorthStar Mirage all had the "Notch" in the Clarifier pot There was a way to fix it but Ill have to remember as its been quite sometime since I messed with a similar chassis radio.

if your just trying to tune them in. just use the fine which just does recieve anyway
the detent is a pain and i just leave that knob there and use the fine if needed.
if your radio is properly aligned this WILL work. you can also have a mod done
called MARRYING THE CLARIFERS the fine will adjust both tx/rx when done
again you wont use the course knob.

I want to thank everyone for the replies. I have had this radio since about 2001, I bought it new then.
I guess it probably needs an alignment, just nobody local to me that I know of to do this. When the coarse adjustment is in the detent, it shows a little off frequency by my 7 digit in line meter and everyone says it is, when they say and sound good it is right at the edge of the top of the detent and wants to slide back into it. The fine adjustment does nothing to change the xmit frequency, only the receive. I wish they were married together, that might cure my problem with the detent.
I was hoping there was possibly a trimmer I could adjust to bring into frequency while it is in the detent. I am by far not an electronics tech, but know a little, usually enough to get in trouble, ha-ha. If some one knows if there is a trimmer to adjust while watching my freq. meter, I would appreciate the info. I cannot find any alignment procedures anywhere in my searches.
Once again, thanks to everyone and any further info or knowledge you could pass on will be greatly appreciated.

there is a adjustment for tx frequ. adjustment but without knowing the number
of it id reccommend leaving it be. i currently got a ss3900 in my mobile
it has the dual clarifer it takes about 45 minites to warm up it drifts when
cold and is off frequency. but after about 45 min. its right on. try giving
your radio 30-45 minites to warm up,if its still off tell others to tune you in
i know exactly what ya going thru

Even if you knew what the right pot ID was, if you do not have a calibrated Frequency Counter with eight digit accuracy I would leave it alone. + or - 300 Hz can render your SSB radio useless. This is just one Hertz from perfect alignment.
3194-1414632047-392db11be8250f77d52120286313eb10.jpg

Last edited:
I will probably just leave it alone. I just wish the clarifier did not have the detent, if it was smooth turning I would have no problems. But when I get it to where it needs to be, it wants to drop into the detent and then it is off again.
Thanks for all the replies.

you have the common problem with exports that have a detent in the shift control,
you can remove the detent by stripping the pot and removing the ball bearing or my prefered method unlock the clarifier so tx & rx move together,
im not familiar with your radio but they all work pretty much the same.

Reactions: BBB and Robb
if the detent wasnt there you,d be way off cause the course knob has alot of slide
if ya accidently bumped it. i agree with leaving it be. try to find a cb shop you may
have to drive 50 plus miles to one. bobscb.com is 70 miles for me. or ya can do the online ones. get the fine and course knob married then the fine will adjust both tx/rx
at same time

Does anyone know the steps to marry the fine to do xmit and rec. Mine only does rec. with the fine, the coarse will do both.
If I can marry the two it will solve my problem of trying to just get to the edge of the detent. The fine has no detent and would allow me to make the small adjustment needed.
Any info will be appreciated.

Reactions: hotrod
exactly. while ya looking put your course in the detent and forget bout it . and just use
the fine. to tune others in. if ya off frequ. just tell others there gonna have to
tune to you this will help ya enjoy ssb until u get those clarifers married together

Clarifier mod for the NS-9000:

Remove D38 and R141, solder a wire from J106, pin 54 to a +8V source. Usually you can just solder bridge right to the trace below the pin itself, that's +8V.

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.