• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need a Little Help..

Lik2race

Apr 9, 2009
Hey Guys,
I have a couple of questions, hopefully someone can help me out...
What settings would you use on a Tube Tester that doesn't list a setting for a
6LF6 ?
And...will a 8950 and a M2057 test the same, as a 6LF6..?

On a Maco 75 Amp, that was originaly equipped with a 8950, and converted
to a M2057; What can be done to convert THIS Amp to use 6LF6's ?

Finally...Can a Amp, that uses 6LF6's be converted to a more easily available
tube, and if so..What do I need to do..?
If someone that knows the answers would like to email me, PLEASE
do so. My email is:
sreeves15@comcast.net
Thanks in advance, any help will be
appreciated.
Stan

As far as the tube switchover that can be done depending what you want to do with it it can get costly the thing you have to remember is your transformer / power supply is rated at so much for output so when changing or swaping out tubes you have to take this into consideration and at times its not worth the money when you could take the money you spent and you could have bought a more modern amplifier with better or more obtainable tubes.

An 8950 and a M2057 will test the same as a 6LB6 with the exception of 12 volts on the filament. Expect higher output ratings than the LB so you might drop the filament voltage to 9 volts or so to check the true output.

The Maco 75 should have came originally with a M2057 in it. A lot of 8950's were subbed in them because they were cheaper and easier to find. They would not hold up as good as the 2057 or do as much wattage. It seems to me on these amps there was a neon bulb strapped across a 2200 ohm, 2 watt resistor. When these two changed value the amp got unstable and would not do the wattage it normally did.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.