• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need advice on Low Drive High power Amp!

High Miler

May 30, 2005
Pennsylvania
Well I can't say I wasn't warned... The KLV 1000 turned into a total flop... Now it's at the point of little or no help. Started out with one bad tube and escalated from there...

We had it limping along for a couple days, than it took a crap... Went south...

I'm at the point I have had enough already....

I still want to hit the Kilowatt mark and use my Texas Ranger Base... 1.5 Dk and swinging to about 18-20 Watts if I hit it hard with the D-104 Hand Mic... Otherwise I can make it sit Comfy around 12 Watt swing.

Any ideas would be appreciated... Thanks in advance.

IS H&Y willing to warranty this amp? If not I know that Justin at Communications Experts can fix it this amp and have it working the best it possibly can.

H&Y will not warranty Tubes or Transistors... And that's where the whole problem originated... Is Because when I received the unit the Driver tube was already busted in it.

They told me I would have to send it to Syracuse,Ny for warranty work, I would have to pay the shipping, any tube damage, Transistors (Which of 'Course this is a tuber... Not solid state)...

So I am wondering if I can re-order the tubes, re-fuse it and have it work fine. I tried to get it to work for a couple days, and I am wondering if running it without that one Tube being present on High Power caused a voltage problem.

Furthermore, I hope these fuses caught it in time... And no damage was substained in any other part of the linear.

This is what I am worried about.

NorthStar said:
IS H&Y willing to warranty this amp? If not I know that Justin at Communications Experts can fix it this amp and have it working the best it possibly can.

Thanks on that info... I sent Justin a PM ... Hopefully he gets it ok... This is aggravating beyond belief...

Hmph. The 4-tube KLV-1000 seems to hold up okay. I got so disgusted trying to keep that driver tube from popping, the only thing we'll do is convert a 5-tube to the 4-tube version.

This fixes the stability problem, but calls for more drive than a single-final base can deliver.

Justin's pretty sharp. If you find out that he has solved the "suidical driver tube" problem, I'd love to hear about it. At least then I could send folks who want that driver stage to him, instead of telling them "tough luck, high-drive only".

to much. the 1000p (4tuber) takes a max of 60am and 120ssb. if you were using the 5 tube with your 6900 you would smoke it anyhow unless you could get your carrier way down. sorry to hear your having problems. the 1000p i had worked well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.