• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need help, comments, suggestions!!!

KJ4VRQ

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 9, 2013
I am a ham operator that still has a thing for the citizens band!

I am currently running a G5RV for HF and a basic 2 meter antenna to my Yaesu 897. I am going to probably use an old Navaho cb base radio that is in great condition. However, I need a good antenna.

I live in a neighborhood and prefer to use vertical but do not want to use something like an Antron 99. I was thinking about using something like a 102 whip if I can get the SWR's right. I have a friend who says that we can do this but do any of you guys have any other suggestions?

The reason this is an issue is because I prefer to use a more discrete antenna and IMO, a whip will be less noticeable. Anybody have any other ideas? Prefer to use vertical and not horizontal.

Thanks guys!!!

The easiest antenna to build is a dipole, the next easiest is the 1/4w - IMO.

You can build it out of 1/2 inch EMT tubing in the standard 10ft lengths, which is very cheap and easily attainable. The rest is just making the hardware to support it. The other problem is putting it up high enough to make it effective.

The next antenna that is 'best' (IMO) is the loop or delta loop antenna, which uses scrap wire and a 5' 10" length of RG-59 to use as an impedance xformer.

Last edited:
There's a hand drawn pic somewhere on the net (I can't find it now) but it shows where someone took a piece of coax, stripped back the jacket 103 inches, hung it up, then took the shielded portion and wrapped it 4-5 turns around a cylinder object. I don't know if it works or not (have not yet tried it) but it might. Just a thought.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated