• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need help locating R-264 in cobra 148nwst

sanjosebay21

May 24, 2013
want to do the swing mod but cant find the location of this resister anybody have an idea where this resistor is located ? thanks

I do not know of a R264 mod for the cobra 148 radios. this mod is for the 69600 boards that I know of with a diode added.

the only swing mod with a diode for a 148 is r228 by the transformer.
with the knobs facing you looking at the resister part side up and lift the left leg. install the diode in the hole anode end down and solder it to the resister and vacant hole from the resister. this is by VR10 for a swing mod. I do not care for this mod but you can try it if you want to see what it does for you. I prefer the npc mod for the 148 radios myself.
not responsible for any problems you have doing the mods. due this at your own risk.

I totally agree with you Robb, that is why I told him I do not care for that mod on any of the 148 radios. the nwst will lay down on him rather fast. never heard of a R264 MOD FOR THE 148 MYSELF, ONLY THE R228 FOR SWING. you guys heard of it?

The R264 mod is used for the Galaxy/Ranger EPT69xxx series boards, like the Galaxy 949/959 etc.

The R228 mod is for the Cobra 148/Cobra 2000 boards. Honestly, I wouldn't mess with a swing mod, just clip R131 if you want more AM punch. The Cobra 148NWST radios aren't known for their reliability or performance, I wouldn't recommend do a lot of modding on that radio.

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
I tried the 228 resistor and nothing all stayed the same no difference I was just loookin on google and found the 264 mod for 148gtl nwst thought it might be the same yea I know this radio not the best just an expirement radio thanks

R228 should have made a difference with swing by adjusting Vr10. the regulator on them are so weak they will not stand up to much. they barely handle the radio stock. it should have given you full swing with it added. did you get the diode in the right direction, that makes a difference.

not sure with radio facing me component side up I pulled i pulled leg on left and installed diode baned side down.......... if you flip radio over the resistor and diode are connected to eachother would I hae to take theglass diode out and use the n4001?

not sure with radio facing me component side up I pulled i pulled leg on left and installed diode baned side down.......... if you flip radio over the resistor and diode are connected to eachother would I hae to take theglass diode out and use the n4001?

not sure which glass diode you used. a 1n4001 would be your best bet, or a 1n4148 is a 2nd choice for this type of mod.

just read your posting here. it should be banded side towards the resister and the non banded end in the hole.. from what I just read you had the diode in backwards.

ok it was r 183 works great turned dk to 2.5 and swing to 16 and on ssb swings to 25 cant i belive that lol don't hve a peak meter to see what it does on peak

ok it was r 183 works great turned dk to 2.5 and swing to 16 and on ssb swings to 25 cant i belive that lol don't hve a peak meter to see what it does on peak

you put R228 back stock and put a diode with R183, is that what you did.how did you install the diode. some one else might like to know just what you did.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.