• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need help on antenna choice.

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
Still not a ham but i need a hams expertise!

I moved from NC to Coeburn VA in SW VA. Where i live is listed at right at 2000ft above see level,which is much better than my place in NC, but i am surrounded by mountains ( all around i mean!) that are at least 1800ft high. The valley is only maybe 1/4 of a mile wide so i'm really packed in here!

Do any of you know of an antenna that would work well in my location, not only local but DX as well? The only use for this antenna will be SSB,27.385 and very little AM.I know,quit screwing around and get your ticket!:D

I would rather not spend any more money than i have to and i would also be willing to look at some type of homemade antenna if that would be a better choice. I have been reaserching a few different homemade antennas but I'm still not sure which one to try.

The one good thing about my location is that there is a very tall pine tree (75ft + or -) that stands all by itself right beside my house.I thought about putting an Imax up in the tree but i keep reading that a vertical antenna would need some form of ground radial system to work best. But i dont think there is enough room around the tree for me to bury that many wires around the tree.

Thanks for the help!

If you already have that Imax, and if you don't mind climbing trees, go ahead and put it in that tree. The Imax isn't a groundplane type antenna, and doesn't need one.
- 'Doc

If you already have that Imax, and if you don't mind climbing trees, go ahead and put it in that tree. The Imax isn't a groundplane type antenna, and doesn't need one.
- 'Doc

Has my vote. Use good quality coax.

Rick

I will give a thumbs up for the Imax also..

Oh and antennas on top of trees always seem to work quite well
Do be sure to use good coax ( LMR 400 or better )

beem them up scotty

build a flat side beem thay dont count on ground waves.than experment with angeling it over the mounten.should work good in skip.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.