• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NEED HELP w/ Emperor

bigwheel82

Feb 24, 2011
North East Corner
Hello All! My friend has an Emperor TS5010 that he accidently hooked up backwards to his home power supply. :censored: He says that when he trys to plug it in now it shuts down his power supply. I've been doing some looking around but not coming up with much. :headbang Needing to know if there is a protection diode inside that would've taken the punishment and is now in need of replacing. I'm now wondering if this is the reason that some of the power cords come with dual fuses.<?> Anyway, hopefully this is not the end of the road for the Emperor. Thanks guys!

Most likely is the protection diode, did it blow the fuse as well when he hooked it up backwards? What value fuse was in the holder?

I have a TS5010 and I made the same mistake of hooking it up backwards. It blew my diode inside. I'm willing to bet this $0.25 in my pocket that's whats wrong with your friends radio. It'll be the diode closest to where the power source enters the board. It will probably be visibly burnt.

It's good to know that there should be a protection diode in there. I

wasn't sure if all radios come with them or not. I did all kinds of searches on

the web for reverse polarity, TS5010 protection diode, etc, etc... came up

with nothing. Looked on CBTricks, and I couldn't make heads or tales of

those schematics! Told my buddy to look for a small diode towards the

back near the power plug insert, not sure if he has or not yet. CB, he tells

me that it didn't blow the fuse on the positive side of the power cord which

is a 25A.

Going to try and get over his house tonight and have a look at it. I'll keep

you updated.

ouch

never ever use more than a 8-10 amp fuse. if he had the right fuse. it would have blown the fuse first.

I hear ya Jon. That radio deffinately only needs a 10A max fuse. Live and learn I guess. He's had that radio for almost 20 years now, and was his sole radio up until recently. Finally broke down and got a new one. Ah well, I wasnt' able to get over there and check it out myself tonight.

lol

not really a big deal you will see the burnt diode
just replace it should be good.

not really a big deal you will see the burnt diode
just replace it should be good.

:w00t:(y)(y)(y):w00t:

With much happiness I am able to say that the Emperor is able to live another day. Got to my buddies house this evening and had a look at it. Found the diode (D173), went to Radio Crap, replaced it, and she's back up and running just as before! My Buddy was pretty happy aswell. He thought it was a goner. Thankyou guys for the responds, a very happy holidays to you and your families, and 73!(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.