• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need help with a FRS radio

Frylock508

Jul 25, 2011
I purchased a FRS radio for the upcoming hunting season. Works great. But not great enough. When I get to my spot I can hear my other buddies in there spots that are about a mile or two away but they can't hear me. They are using thier Wouxuns but Im not bringing mine into the woods with all my other gear and lose or damage it. The radio works fine for maybe the first quarter mile or so but thats it. I need to turn this thing up just a hair and I'd be great. This is really a shame. These little radios are amazing but could be a tad better. Any ideas? Are there ANY mods for these? Btw, its an off brand purchased in a sporting goods store.

more elevation, try it up in a tree or a stand and see what happens as those low powered radio work on line of site and getting it higher may yield better performance.

I already have a Wouxun. This was purchased so I wouldn't have to bring it into the woods in the cold and snowy weather. The test was performed in a tree stand about 12-15 feet above everyone else.

Your stock FRS radio has a maximum power of one-half watt effective radiated power. How much power do you think those other guys' radios are putting out?

That's why you can hear them but they can't hear you. And I really doubt you'll be able to wave a magic screwdriver and transform your FRS unit into what you seem to be looking for.

I would use the Wouxun, get a lapel mic or acoustic ear piece set up from Wouxun.us and wear the radio under neath your jacket, rain coat or around your neck or shoulder etc.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.