• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need help with antenna mounting.

Here's the truck:

4runner.jpg

4runner2.jpg

I am running a Uniden CB with a Wilson 1000 mag mount antenna, and a Icom 2 meter with a Hustler mag mount. Both antennas on the roof. Problem is, when I go wheeling, the antenna's get ripped off by branches and stuff.

I was thinking about mounting a whip on either corner of the rear bumper, but would that hurt my range? Is there any other place to put them that might be better?

nice rock sliders

what bumper nice rock sliders thougth in general the higher the better make sure you put a spring on it you could mount it on the side but that envoles cut holes in sheet metal not a tech just some wisdom

Make an antenna mount using 1/4 inch steel and weld it to that rear bumper,some where on the very back.Then since you like to off road i would drill a hole just big enough that u can run your coax into the tube bumper then drill another hole out close to the antenna mount. that way it will not be hanging out and you will not have to worry about getting it hung up on something,just make sure u smooth out those holes so that a sharp edge will not rub a hole in your coax.Use a 102 steel whip,those things will take any tree or brush that you can throw at it!
As far as using a cb and a ham radio,i wonder if you could use some kind of switch box so that u only have to use the one antenna rather than 2?I hope this help's and if you find any gold while your up in those mountians dont forget to send me a few BIG nuggets:)

I am going to move the CB on a 102" whip to the back, but I am still not sure about the 2 meter antenna. I have a little time, because I am tearing this truck apart right now and doing a front axle rebuild and some other pretty expensive stuff. I am not really that sure about mounting the antenna on the front fender/hood crack, I think it might take too much of a beating.

Can I run a 2 meter radio on a 102" whip? Is there any way to use loading coil or something to make it tune out right?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.