• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need help

I think he means a gumdrop mount? The humming could be coming from a lot different things. It could be some electrical noise like alternator, ignition, fuel pump, etc. The vibration could be from the antenna itself. I would try swapping out the antenna with a cheap fiberglass one (or any cheap antenna) and see if the situation improves. If the vibration goes away, you'll know it was a structural problem with the K40. Can you describe the "humming" sound?

Try sliding a tennis ball down the antenna. Find the point at the center of the mechanical vibration and it'll damp the mechanical noise. You need to change the center of mass, somehow.

I think you are talking about mechanical harmonics. If so, that tennis ball, or maybe a length of 'ribbon' will change that antenna's "resonance" point to something else, change it's 'tone'.
Don't confuse any of this with how the antenna behaves electrically, it shouldn't affect that at all. The terms used to describe 'resonance', etc, are the same mechanically or electrically (almost).
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.