• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need ideas for antenna mounting

catsknr

Apr 9, 2005
Las Vegas NV
Hello group. I am going to install a new setup in my 90 chev p/u with a stepside bed. All is good with a 225 amp alt. dual yellow tops, Lincoln radio, and a 2x4 (I have 3 to choose from, MF, XF, or DM, which one would you all suggest) amp. My only problem now is where to mount the antenna. I want to use a 102" whip with spring but dont want to drill big holes. Ive seen on a past post where someone mounted an antenna on the bed rail, center of the bed, behind the cab using a mount called "boss hawg". I feel this would be the best place for me. Anyone know where I can get this mount? Also am I going to have any problems with my antenna mounted directly behind the cab, ie: Higher swr, or not getting the distance, etc? I wish I could use my Wilson 5k mag mount but I have heard the coax would not hold up and I wouldnt get proper grounding. Looking for any good ideas. Thanks to all.

Ok, thanks for trying. I tried the link from the post made long ago and of course it was invalid. In your opinion, would that be a good place to mount the 102" whip? I need input. Thanks again.

Yeah if you mount the antenna to close to the cab it will throw off your swr. As for an amp I would recomend a Magnaforce. I know they are cleaner amp than the dave mades but I dont know about the x forces.

If you want trouble free service from an antenna mount build it like this.
Find a piece of 3"x 3" angle iron. It needs to be wide enough to go from reach from outside of the top of the bed rails.
If you use a hacksaw or band saw you can notch the end of the angle iron so it will fit flat against the top of the bed rails.
You will have to drill 2 small holes in the angle and the bed rails but well worth it.
In the center of the angle iron you can make provisions for whatever antenna mount you want to use. This way will give you a strong reliable antenna mount.
You can mount the whip as close to the cab as you want, it will not affect the swr, if it does it will be very little. If you are using a loaded antenna IE firestick, 10K etc. etc. then the load must be above the cab for the SWR to be acceptable.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Thanks to Cheech ( I will be using the MF), to Dog ( tho im still up in the air on the mount, will research it more), and to Peakaboo for the mount idea ( it may come in handy).
Thanks again all.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.