• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need info for cobra 148

sanjosebay21

May 24, 2013
I have this old radio and it dosent have final or driver I have 2 1969's so iput one in it but no have driver can I use a c2075 or c2078 in place of 2166 driver or a 2029 final out of a 29 to drive this 1969 ? thanks for any info....

IIRC, the 2sc2166 is used in this chassis because the circuit is built around AB biasing. The other transistors you listed are used for class B biasing. So those other transistors may work; but are not really the right part for that radio. You can buy a real 2166 at PacificSemi or RF Parts. I would use a 2166; but there may be an exact/equivalent transistor for it. Think the NTE-235 will work.

Don't ever buy it from ebay; most of them are counterfeits.

Last edited:
Might be that the NTE-235 supersedes the 2029 & 2078. Some guys will modify Cobra 29's with a 2166/1969 set to improve output power. Go ahead and try that transistor that you got. Remember to use an insulator between the transistor and use thermal paste too. After all that, you will need to set the driver and final bias with a mA meter.

ExitThirteen and other members knows these parts far better than I do; they may yet weigh in too . . .

Hi, 2SC2078 = NTE235, 2SC1969 or 2SC2166 = NTE236.

Personally, I don't use replacements for outputs. Output power "could vary". In the other hand, replacement are far better than nothing. For everything else replacements are fine.

Don't use thermal paste in excess. Just the needed to cover the metal imperfections (heat sink and transistor tab).

:headbang

Greetings from the Caribbean!!!!

Last edited:
If you haven't installed the NTE-235 yet, please take a good close up picture of it and post it here. I can tell by the case style what it is.

A C2075 and a C2078 will not work in a SSB radio. They will get hot and/or not produce hardly any output. You cannot bias them properly with the existing bias circuitry in the radio. Your best bet is to get a genuine Mitsubishi C2166 if possible for best performance. The NTE-235 could work, depending on what they use for the actual transistor.

2SC2166 RF Power Transistor 12 5 Watts by Mitsubishi | eBay

The above link is for genuine Mitsubishi C2166 transistors.

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.