• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need of new am

I really don't care if my equipment bleeds a few channels, that just means the audio is blaring loud.......as long as it sounds impressive. SSB is a complete different story, class C amps just don't cut it. You can make your SSB signal sound acceptable using a class C amp by cutting the drive way down, but it won't sound good enough to be proud of.....been there tried that.

Educating them is putting them down?

You put down his signature and called him an idiot. How is that educating someone?

I really don't care if my equipment bleeds a few channels, that just means the audio is blaring loud.......as long as it sounds impressive.
Bozo doesn't care that his radio bleeds like a stuck hog either .... he's great advertisement for Radio Active!

Any amp can and will splatter regardless of bias class or transistor /tube construction when overdriven. Why don't you hams go back to the ham part of the forum and quit putting people down and making them feel crappy.

I'm a 40ch AM CBer and I run a few watts, the nemesis of HAM, but I hate guys who think bleeding half the band is cool, or funny. Those guys can't make the trip with quality audio, they have to be annoying to get their name called.

And you HAMs, what you call contesting and busting pileups is no different, so don't go there.

Reactions: 1 person
And you HAMs, what you call contesting and busting pileups is no different, so don't go there.

Yes but we do it legally so don't go there. Now with that being said my only complaint was the poster was openly bragging that he is bleeding over several channels. I don't care if an 11 meter op runs 11kw just keep it clean.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
All those 3cx3's on the ham bands is just for the headroom too right, lol.

Overlooking the fact that not driving a PA transistor to its limit results in a far cleaner signal...

If regulations are like they are here in the UK, power is measured at the antenna feed point. If you've 3dB of loss in the feeder which is quite possible if you've a tower, you can output double the legal limit at the PA and still be legal.

400W is the legal limit in the UK. With 3dB of feeder loss I can legally output 800W at the PA as the power at the antenna feedpoint would be 400W.

Overlooking the fact that not driving a PA transistor to its limit results in a far cleaner signal...

If regulations are like they are here in the UK, power is measured at the antenna feed point. If you've 3dB of loss in the feeder which is quite possible if you've a tower, you can output double the legal limit at the PA and still be legal.

400W is the legal limit in the UK. With 3dB of feeder loss I can legally output 800W at the PA as the power at the antenna feedpoint would be 400W.

How long would your feedline last dissipating 400 watts of heat?

I just did a Watergate of a class c box on ssb. It sounded fine to me. But what do I know. I'm just a 11 meter bandit.

Apparently a lot more than professional audio engineers and RF engineers do. :whistle: If class C was "fine" for SSB then all commercially made amplifiers would be class C to provide more bang for the buck.Since they are not........well ....you can guess the rest.

I have heard a lot of distorted crap on the air that some people say sounds great. It's not just a difference of opinion but rather a difference of reality and standards.

While learning to be a sound tech is that one has to be properly trained to hear good clean audio and to be able to distinguish what sounds right and what is full of artificial artifacts. Someone who doesn't have hearing damage.

Any amp can and will splatter regardless of bias class or transistor /tube construction when overdriven.

You are correct, any amp can distort regardless of class of operation if overdriven however a class C amp will be distorted and generate crap when used for SSB at any drive level whether you think it doesn't or not. The proof is there in spectrum analyzer displays.As for the other class of amplifiers the issue is knowing how to operate that amp so it is not overdriven.

Why don't you hams go back to the ham part of the forum and quit putting people down and making them feel crappy.

If trying to educate someone makes them feel crappy then perhaps that is because they do not want to hear the truth whether they believe it is the truth or not.

All im saying is a class c box CAN work on ssb. Im not saying its proper, but the fact is its capable of transmitting on ssb.

Just trying to clear up some truth about the statement " class c boxes will NOT work. " The FACT is it will, regardless of every other factor. It will work. And I agree, you should try to go for the best quality audio that you can achive. Just don't let people tell you that you cant use class c on ssb. Because you can. It may not be perfect but what is.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.