• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need opinions with new dual band radio's

razor

Feb 27, 2006
I'm looking for a little help picking a good dual band radio. I've read the reviews on Eham.net on a few radios, namely the Kenwood 708 and Yaesu 8800. I have had a few dual banders in the past like the Kenwood 733, (which I really liked) and the blue faced Kenwood V7. It was a pretty good radio but the display was hard to see at times. I like to have the DCS tone so that knocks a few good radios out. Anyone have any likes or dislikes about either of these radios or maybe another like the Kenwood 700A.

razor said:
I'm looking for a little help picking a good dual band radio. I've read the reviews on Eham.net on a few radios, namely the Kenwood 708 and Yaesu 8800. I have had a few dual banders in the past like the Kenwood 733, (which I really liked) and the blue faced Kenwood V7. It was a pretty good radio but the display was hard to see at times. I like to have the DCS tone so that knocks a few good radios out. Anyone have any likes or dislikes about either of these radios or maybe another like the Kenwood 700A.

I've been using my Icom IC-207 for about 4 years - no complaints.

-TSG

I would say..

The Newer Icom IC-208
Better yet the ID-800

have used my friends Yaesu 7800
he is uping to the ID-800

i also am getting the ID-800

Later

Thanks guys............I don't know much about the digital radios right now. It sounds interesting. I need to learn more about it.

Stay a million miles away from the Icom 2720H!!!!!!!!!!!

I would rather buy any radio at Wal Mart than the 2720H, read the reviews on eham.

I have the Yaesu FT-8800R, far better radio. The 7800 is somewhat the same radio as the 8800 but no crossband repeat and no dual receive, which if you have never had cross band repeat or dual receive you can easily say its no big deal. Once you have it though it is a kewl ass feature.

I had the Kenwood D700A and it was a great rig but the audio reports I got were always that the radio sounded "tinny". There is no way to adjust this audio either. If I could get the features of the 700A with the 8800R, life would be good!
If you have a deep voice though the D700A may be a good radio for you?

www.eham.net/reviews/

www.eham.net/reviews/products/38

Right now I'm leaning toward the Yaesu 8900 or 8800 because of the better audio. I have a Yaesu FT100D that I did the mic mod to and have the FM gain turned up to 65. I have been told it sounds real good on 2 meter. I would put that radio in the truck but I really like the dual recieve of a dualband radio especially when storm spotting. It would be nice to be able to go into the 700a or 708 and adjust the moduation of maybe try another mic. I like the looks of the kenwood better but the performance of the Yaesu will likely win out.... I really would like to know more about the digital radio's but for now I will stick with the analog type. I appreciate the help.

Save your money and do not get the 8900, 6 meter FM and 10 meter FM is useless and will be for some time to come. Check out 6 and 10 FM on your FT-100D you will see the same thing.

Save that extra cash for a good dual band antenna

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.