• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need portable 100 watt solar power kit recommendations

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
I don't know much about solar kits. I'm looking for at least 100 watts, lightweight, fold-able with a carrying case, decent warranty and a good charge controller. I was looking at the Zamp brand because my camper is pre-wired for Zamp, but they seem way overpriced to me.

I will be using it for camping mostly. I already have one group 27 battery and a 400 watt inverter. My actual power consumption will be light.

What are you using? Any brand, model info would be appreciated. My budget is $350, but could stretch to $400.

I don't know much about solar kits. I'm looking for at least 100 watts, lightweight, fold-able with a carrying case, decent warranty and a good charge controller. I was looking at the Zamp brand because my camper is pre-wired for Zamp, but they seem way overpriced to me..

That's one of the reasons photovoltaic has not taken off.($$$$$$) When you are camping do you have your vehicle with you? Or are you one of those that will back pack into the wilderness?
If you have your vehicle the link below is the most affordable I could find.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catal...,EAFeatured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=solar+cell

Last edited:
Reactions: 357magnum
Mudfoot,
The Harbor Freight twin panel is about the best price you will find. No matter the brand, my experience is that Mother Nature married Murphy and you never get the rated wattage from a solar panel. Figure about 90 watts fleeting and about 70 constant. It will vary minute by minute. Don't let your battery fall below 10.5 volts or you'll kill it. Depending on load and duty cycle you can actually run all day using a CB radio. Even a 20-amp ham rig is good all day if you take a break and have a beer. If you hit the battery with a constant high load, say 20 amps, then figure about 3-hours till you're charging for 4.

Good luck

My TT has a still working pair of panels factory-fitted as an option when new in 1989. Not portable, and a good bit more than $400 back then ($2,250).

There are some deep-pocket guys on www.airforums.com who’ve had pro installs (same guy does two million dollar motorhomes), and some who’ve done DIY (with some electrical engineers chiming in).

I’m recommending as a good place to do some reading. The discussion (and especially the trailer brand) go toward a owning a permanent family asset. Airstream was the entry level bargain brand. Indefinite lifespan.

An active HAM Radio Club, also (since 1963).

Reactions: 357magnum
I picked up a 40 watt panel with controller for 99 bucks Canadian. Just want it to recharge my batteries, Coleman brand.
coleman.png

FEATURES
  • Coleman 40W Folding Solar Panel is ideal for use with RVs, homes, cabins, remote and back-up power, 12V battery charging and more
  • Panel features high efficiency crystalline solar cells and a durable metal frame for extended outdoor use
  • Includes fold-out stand for easy installation
  • Fully weatherproof design with shatterproof tempered glass for superior durability
  • Includes 7 Amp charge controller to protect the 12 Volt battery from overcharging
  • Built-in blocking diode prevents reverse discharge in battery
  • Maximum power output: 40 Watts and 2.3 Amps under ideal conditions
  • Dimensions: 31 x 13.8 x 0.70" (79 x 35.1 x 1.8 cm)
  • Accessories: 12' (3.65 m) extension cable (0745056)

I picked up a 40 watt panel with controller for 99 bucks Canadian. Just want it to recharge my batteries, Coleman brand.View attachment 32000
FEATURES
  • Coleman 40W Folding Solar Panel is ideal for use with RVs, homes, cabins, remote and back-up power, 12V battery charging and more
  • Panel features high efficiency crystalline solar cells and a durable metal frame for extended outdoor use
  • Includes fold-out stand for easy installation
  • Fully weatherproof design with shatterproof tempered glass for superior durability
  • Includes 7 Amp charge controller to protect the 12 Volt battery from overcharging
  • Built-in blocking diode prevents reverse discharge in battery
  • Maximum power output: 40 Watts and 2.3 Amps under ideal conditions
  • Dimensions: 31 x 13.8 x 0.70" (79 x 35.1 x 1.8 cm)
  • Accessories: 12' (3.65 m) extension cable (0745056)
XM, Crappy Tire??

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?