• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need portable 100 watt solar power kit recommendations

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
I don't know much about solar kits. I'm looking for at least 100 watts, lightweight, fold-able with a carrying case, decent warranty and a good charge controller. I was looking at the Zamp brand because my camper is pre-wired for Zamp, but they seem way overpriced to me.

I will be using it for camping mostly plus a little field day activity.. I already have one group 27 battery and a 400 watt inverter. My actual power consumption will be light.

What are you using? Any brand, model info would be appreciated. My budget is $350, but could stretch to $400.

Hello Mudfoot: That sounds like a good deal for portable use.

Be advised most Solar Controllers or Voltage Regulators are made in China and do NOT have any filtering, so that when they are in operation they generate a bunch of RFI (Radio Frequency Noise). I know I installed two 100 watt solar cells on top of my camper and it took out all the radios, AM/FM, CB, VHF/UHF, HF. What good is a solar system if it jams all the radios. Pulling up to a intersection without the filters installed I could take out cars next to me playing loud music from FM!

Added a metal box for the controller and input and output brute force filters reduced the RFI by -50 to -60 dB measured with a Spectrum Analyzer. But I still can hear the digital RFI Noise in my CB and VHF Radios at reduced signal levels.

So be advised tell the manufacture you want it in writing that their solar system does not generate RFI so that you can use your radios. And the other fact is that the FCC does not have any requirements for solar systems to have a RFI quiet controller. And the manufactures know this. After talking to my solar system technical people many times. I blow up calling them, know nothing middle men, and few others things. The manufacture or dealer was Renogy, not recommended.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Reactions: Mudfoot and Robb
Know a local op that had the same problem that Jay described. In fact, this op went thru 4 or 5 controllers until he found one that didn't make serious amounts of noise. Needless to say, he wasn't pleased about that situation . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudfoot

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.