• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need suggestions.

007_man

Apr 29, 2011
Savannah,Tennessee
Hey fellow CB'ers. I'm having trouble picking the right antenna for me. There's just too many out there to choose from. I currently run a IMAX 2000. I live in right smack dab in the middle of town. The businesses and buildings pinch my hearing really bad and I ALWAYS run atleast 2 pounds of line noise even on a quite night. There's a chance we might be moving in the next 2 months. We are trying to get a place on the outskirts of the city limits. OK lets get back to the subject. When we do move, should I just run the same setup I got now and wait it out for a couple of days and quite nights and see what I can hear. Or should I just get another antenna? I've never EVER ran a beam. I have ZERO experience with them. Should I go with the Sirio 2016 or the Maco 3 element beam. Any difference in the 2016 and the IMAX?

Try the Imax first, as high as you can.

If you get a beam, remember you need a rotor. Not a TV type, a communications sort and they are not cheap. A beam is not the sort of antenna that likes a mast either. It is better on a tower. One can be found at a house that no longer uses it for free many times. Then you need a significant concrete base. Not a very cheap endeavor even if the tower is free.

A rotor is not absolutely necessary. Depending on your installation, there are other ways to facilitate turning your beam.

If you have space at either location, it would be nice to have both an omni and a beam.

I would suggest you use what you have after you move. See what the differences are, if any, then think about changing things.
There will be some changes in what you are able to hear when you change locations. I don't expect it will be a huge change, but the noise should decrease a little. At least get used to that change, then think about 'improving' you antenna situation. Going to a directional antenna is not a quick-n-easy thing (or cheap). Do it right to start with, don't 'half-axed' do it and have to re-do it later! That saves a huge amount of time, labor, and money.
- 'Doc

Which ground wave really gives you the best results? I wanna talk 100-150 miles away from me on a quiet night. I might talk skip occasionally. I'm leaning towards the Sirio 2016, seems like the more I study about it, the more I like it. I've always heard aluminum has less noise than fiberglass. Thanks for the input ya'll.

Don't think you are going to do any better with the Sirio then you are with the Imax. Getting either antenna higher will definitely help getting that distance for local talking (10-100 miles). Just concentrate on the height of the Imax - IMO . . .

Would be nice

To talk those distances on a regular basis will require a nice ASL location, an appropriate antenna system and a circle of friends or acquaintances that possess a similar station.

More than likely, a decent flat side beam, a little power and operating SSB.

You will also benefit/need to be in a RFI quite area...hard to find in a municipal setting.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.