• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need to test APRS messaging

KC8CAY

Aug 25, 2010
Hello all,
I have had my VX-8R for a few years now and I am still in love with it. However, I have never been able to receive an APRS message. After reading and watching threads from Moleculo and various contributors, I believe the issue is I have no friends, lol.
I tried send some cw messages to various users in my area based on APRS.fi but no return hellos. Would anyone on here mind sending me an APRS message so I can see what it looks like via the VX-8?
Ben
KC8CAY-7

73's and much thanks!

Ok not all at once please, lol. Also, anyone know a great site that explains the APRS beacons and gates and such in the terms like the "for dummies" books?

I just tried sending you a couple of messages through my iGate.

You are also welcome to contact me... I'll reply if I get a message from you.

Do you normally show-up on APRS when you send position data?

Where are you located? Is there an iGate or Digi nearby?

If you show-up on Aprs.fi just fine when moving around with your HT. Try sending me a message to see if it makes it to me.

I also have the VX-8R - so I could check my settings. But from what I remember, there really wasn't a setting to enable or disable messaging. It just works. The only thing I set was to have the strobe flash on incoming messages.

I sent you one also, but doesn't your radio need to be on in order to receive a message? I'm not going to lie -- sending messages via APRS has always been cumbersome for me.

Messages can be held at the local iGate until a station comes back into range.

But, they can also timeout... after x amount of time.

I think it all depends on the setup.

I got 1 message from a W8MLO. It seems the settings are fine, the path is just cumbersome. I live in Columbus, Ohio so I am learning about iGates and digi's each day I can.

Well, I pulled-up the map for Columbus, Ohio. There are plenty of Digi's, D-Star, and other repeaters in close proximity, as well as a local APRS iGate.

You should be able to transmit and receive APRS just fine.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.